Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2009

Old September 21st, 2009, 21:48:15   #21
Douggie

Default Re: [FAQ] AMV Compo Sign-up CLOSED!

Power2All, I was wondering during the contest, did you reencode all the videos or were they the same file as they were sent in? Re-encode them into one format that you know the system can play might be useful too (instead of making one big movie).
ChibiCon '07: A Small Summer Story
AbunaiCon '07: denying//CHANGE
AnimeCon '08: corazón
ChibiCon '08: The Sweetest Sky
AbunaiCon '08: lost & found: MEMORIES
AnimeCon '09: Senpai Says
.org profile
Old September 21st, 2009, 21:51:50   #22
Racing Dutch
Otaku

If everyone's down with it, I'd like to make a remix of the compo, just like I did with the Tsunacon AMVs
Old September 21st, 2009, 22:12:08   #23
Ikarias
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Ikarias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
Power2All, I was wondering during the contest, did you reencode all the videos or were they the same file as they were sent in? Re-encode them into one format that you know the system can play might be useful too (instead of making one big movie).
I strongly suggest you dont make one big movie of it. It is very likely you downgrade at least one amv in quality by re-encoding it. Best chance is to run it through a checker for errors, and optionaly use the same machine for judging as for running the show.

- Timo 'Tamaki' van Buuren (Anime nation crew-controlling staf)
Abunai 2007 AMV - Ego
Anime08 AMV - cancelled
Abunai 2008 AMV - The longing
Abunai 2010 AMV - AMV MATERIALIZE (joined venture with Seria1337)
Anime11 EMV - The titty song (1st place)
Old September 21st, 2009, 22:23:59   #24
Jake R
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Jake R

As a judge, I was happy to see that the one I gave a 9.5 indeed ended at #1. It was fun, it was well-timed, it looked great, it was original in that it had a Dutch song that hasn't been a great hit for as far as I know, etc.

At split second place, I gave 4 AMV's an 8, including #2 and #3.

Like last year, my biggest problem with many AMV's was the lack of precise timing at critical moments. You see an explosion and hear nothing, you hear a loud bang (close to) when someone just bumps into a wall or w/e.

Another thing that kinda bothered me with some AMV's was the lack of a story.

Oh... and which one was the .hack//SIGN AMV? <3 you for picking my first ever (non-dubbed) anime as source material. It's been over 5 years since I last saw it, but I still love it. =D
Old September 21st, 2009, 22:28:58   #25
Douggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarias View Post
I strongly suggest you dont make one big movie of it. It is very likely you downgrade at least one amv in quality by re-encoding it. Best chance is to run it through a checker for errors, and optionaly use the same machine for judging as for running the show.
Well, I don't know if re-encoding it will make the quality noticeably worse - I actually do not have experience with that. But if it's not really that noticeable, then I rather have that then having weird compatibility problems that will screw up the playback during the compo. I would hate to be one of those editors which AMVs didn't get shown properly.

It's either that, or have real proper testing of the AMVs on the equipment that is actually going to be used, instead of simulations on other systems.
ChibiCon '07: A Small Summer Story
AbunaiCon '07: denying//CHANGE
AnimeCon '08: corazón
ChibiCon '08: The Sweetest Sky
AbunaiCon '08: lost & found: MEMORIES
AnimeCon '09: Senpai Says
.org profile
Old September 22nd, 2009, 00:20:12   #26
Lavjee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power2All View Post
Maybe a tip.
Use footage at highest setting (who cares it takes up HDD space, get a TB HDD then xD) and export at a lossless setting at HD quality (for example Huffyuv).
Then re-encode it using for example MeGUI or VirtualDub to a final version.
MeGUI has a very good way of encoding HD material (H264) into a MKV or a MP4.
2-pass encoding I would recommend, but a 1-pass encode might be ok too.
You really don't need to use the lossless setting in H264 codec, since it will just mostly eat HDD space you could use for other things anyhow.
For example, you could encode it to a bitrate of 1000 or 1200 using 2-pass encoding, then you probably have the best quality you can reach.

For editting, make sure your editting package is using the EXACT same size of the video files, or close to it.
That way you can prevent making your video clip look awful (this includes also for exporting ^^).

Sooo, I'm just wondering, am I the only one noobish enough to edit vids, but still really doesn't understand any of that stuff. At all D:
ohmyfriggingaawwd, I feel so dumb D:
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:13:29   #27
Saniiro-San
Otaku

Default Re: AMV Compo Aftermath

Quote:
It was kinda weird to sit in the back for a change, but good to talk a little to some of the editors afterwards. The judging information at the AMV workshop was kinda interesting to see - to see what the sheets looked like. I wonder how extensive they were filled in though.
this ranged from well explained reasons to short-hand due to time shortage (sickness of 2 of the judges during the last 2 weeks :-/)

Quote:
The variety of the AMVs however, seemed to be disappointing for me. Almost all of them were either action or upbeat, besides one drama. I missed seeing a trailer, drama, romance experimental and comedy AMVs (some AMVs had comedy stuff in them though). I don't know if that's because those seem to be popular to make among the editors or that it was something the judges really liked.
we had one trailer but that AMV unfortunately didn't make it to the finals due to the bad video quality (although it wasn't badly done). I'm really happy the 'story of two' got through to the finals because it was one of 3 'drama' AMV's (there was one Vampire Knight AMV which didn't get through the selection either, and I do count the .HACK//SIGN AMV as a drama aswell) we received. I also found that most AMV's we got were quite uptempo. I'd love to have seen more AMV's with somewhat more mellow music to have a nice change of pace throughout the compo but that is purely personal taste.

Quote:
I liked the achievements, it was a pretty good idea, only it seemed like that eventually the jokes kinda ran out. Still cool though.
Hoped you liked it :-] me and another judge had alot of fun thinking them up, and many thanks to ThaChez for the original idea

Quote:
I just have two questions though and I don't know if that was a technical issues (showroom) or that it was like that, but there were 2 AMVs which ended wierd. One just had black video for like 15 seconds at the end, as if it wasn't was finished on time. And another one had the whole AMV repeated again in the last 20 seconds or so, only sped up. What was up with that?
I think power2all already answered this one but for some reason the video track played faster than the audio track during the compo. this was not detected in any way before the compo unfortunately (also not during the test run because due to time constraints we could only skip over the movies and not have a whole hours to watch it fully)

Quote:
And I don't know if there was a lack of time or something, but I kinda missed hearing from the editors what they made and them telling a small story about their AMV. That's always interesting to hear.
this was actually a specific choice I made for this years AMV compo. Over the past few years we got quite alot of feedback telling us that quite a few people did not find all those talks very interesting, especially not with all the editors. also, some of the editors are not comfortable with a stage performance. So I decided to only talk shortly with the top 3 tanking AMV editors. The After-AMV-Compo-Events was there also to be used to talk to the editors and hear the stories I believe (but I could be wrong but that was my assumption). Maybe for next year we could make a list of information people like to hear about the AMV's so we can ask clear questions instead of the standard story.

Quote:
And oh, man, those prizes are the best yet for any AMV compo held here in Holland!
/me pets Kamen Rider Max for making all the prizes happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarias View Post
OT. It was a nice Compo, i truly enjoyed it. Despite the late entree date, and the short time of judging, and the hickups, i think it went just nicely.
There were btw no serious talks with the editors on stage because of time. there was an hour planned, and even now it turned out to be 75 minutes... Good thing you guys started a little early.

About the time: we decided a few weeks before the convention to prolong the AMV compo at the front of the timeslot to 1.5 hours instead of 1 hours. This had to do with the fact that we were sure to be done within that time (which works better because then you don't run late in the planning which can screw things up) and we wanted to add one more AMV to the list we wanted to show (15 instead of 16). Unfortunately, the conbook was already in the process of being printed so there was no way for us to change it in the booklet anymore so we had to announce it at the convention. This is always the problem with stuff that has to be printed etc because you have to deliver it weeks ahead so all the last minute changes we can't get into the booklet anymore. It's a pain but that is also the reason why the schedule in the booklet say that changes might happen.

I really wanted to go to the after-AMV-Compo event but I had to help getting the closing ceremony ready so I was not able to come... I'm sorry to all the editors that I had really little time to talk to all of you. I was happy to show most of you your grade right then and there but I was not able to spend much more time. I had the Janken-Pon,AMV and closing ceremony all in one go with only very little time to prepare between the events ;-] it's the joy of being an Events Staff member I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunya View Post
my amv my amv my amv T-T whyyyyyyyyy my amv T-T
well If people want to see him with a normal speed, he is on yt in about 1 hour :P I'm with the suck amv xD
GOMEN! I'm really sorry it went wrong during the actual compo :-/ as I said at the compo itself and afterwards, we had no indication beforehand that this would happen (or we would have asked for a re-encode in advance). it's something we'll pay closer attention to next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunya View Post
I realy liked all the amvs It was fun watching ^^
realy realy realy liked the achievements ^.^
you're welcome :-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavjee View Post
Sooo, I'm just wondering, am I the only one noobish enough to edit vids, but still really doesn't understand any of that stuff. At all D:
plenty of editors here on the forum who could help you out :-] there have been some tutorial type threads before but I think just asking for contact information of editors and asking them directly might work better for you. they can also point you to good websites about this kind of stuff.

I'll put a page online at the archive soon, which will also contain the rankings (and maybe the stills with achievements too).
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:58:45   #28
Jake R
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Jake R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavjee View Post
Please trust me on this: the easiest and often most fun way towards understanding it is by getting yourself a good program (... pretty much everything other than Windows Movie Maker will do) and hitting random buttons. That's it. Hitting random buttons.

Take some random pieces of material, and see what the buttons and options do. Obviously, you should try to remember what happens after pressing what button. If you're not sure why, try to google it, or just keep hitting the button until you have a better idea. Many are scared of the many options computers have to offer nowadays: the trick is to not be intimidated by the huge amount of stuff you don't need. If a button doesn't seem to be doing anything useful, you probably don't need it. Try later when you understand the other options better. =D

The chances of you breaking anything are extremely tiny, especially if you back up your source material. If anything does happen, a quick reboot should solve it.

This also works for programs like Photoshop and Illustrator, Flash, and many other computer programs.

... please make sure you don't try to be too random when it comes to the Control Panel or the internet, though... I remember once lending my pc to my grandma after having no virus on any of my pc's for over 10 years. After 1 week, she managed to get it infected with one of the most annoying virusses around at that time. To this day, I still don't know how she did that.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:07:42   #29
Power2All
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Power2All Send a message via Yahoo to Power2All

As about re-encoding, loosing quality is not true.
If you encode it atleast at a bitrate that the PC can handle, on a HD resolution, and encoding also SD's, it will overscale the original, but with filtering you get the same effect as when a player does it full-screen.
Quality loss is a relatively thing you should not worry about, atleast if you keep the aspect ratio in mind.
The only thing I need to keep in mind, is keeping the 29.97FPS speed for all AMV's, to prevent issues if a AMV is encoded with 25FPS or 23.976FPS.
Im encoding long enough to prevent quality loss ikarias, you should know this

About the played files.
They we're the originals as provided by Saniiro-san, thus I didn't re-encode any of the files.
The stills on the AMV's are encoded by me first to HUFFYUV and encoded again to H264 at a bitrate of 1000.

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION !
DJ @ Abunai! 2007, Abunai! 2009, Hasshin 2010, Abunai! 2010
Former Drummer of the J-rock band Slightly Spring, new band in the making
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:15:52   #30
neko-linn

I was wondering if every editor gets a full feedback e-mailed (the judging-form, which was shown at the amv workshop)? I'd love to know which are my stronger points and which ones need improvement^^
And by the way.. sorry for my lame-ass answer on stage xD I think I was a bit overwhelmed ^^' Well, the competition was very tough! I think everyone did great! =D