Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2009

Old October 7th, 2009, 00:21:36   #1
Mitzuki
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Mitzuki
Default CAC acts

The thing i find weird is that the blood+ act was allowed seeing as it was exactly the same as the one a few years ago on animecon.

Same text from the anime and same scene.
#1 FUJOSHI

IDIOTS UNITE || Then you can all die together
If you think i dont like you || It's NOT just your imagination
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:10:22   #2
Saniiro-San
Otaku

Default Re: CAC acts

moved this post to it's own thread since it was kind of getting offtopic but:

unfortunately we have no idea what acts were done years ago at another convention so it's hard for us to track such a thing. that and if it was a different group of people who simply used the same bit from a series, it's hard to say 'no' to them aswell.

what would you feel would be a good policy in this kind of thing?
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:57:02   #3
Mitzuki
Otaku

I know its hard to keep track of it. But i do think its kind of not fair to people who actualy spent alot of time thinking about a script instead of just using an other idea.

Its like a ripped amv in the amv compo.

About what i feel would be a good policy is a hard question. But to keep it atleast a little fair would be to not allow text that has been taken from an anime or movie but atleast recorded by themselves. Then you can atleast say you put in a little efford instead of just copy/pasting your act
#1 FUJOSHI

Old October 7th, 2009, 11:37:46   #4
Rasha
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Rasha

the problem with your idea is that a lot of people dont have the means to record their own sound.

+ we got a good old dutch saying: beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht

Rasha
is that a lagspike in your pants or are you happy to see me ?
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:51:37   #5
Mitzuki
Otaku

Beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht

Dont you think that if you add that to the cosplay compo you have to add that to the other compo's too ^_~

Amv compo: Better stolen in good quality then made yourself and being able to count the pixels on schreen

Fashion show: Better a awesome cosplay bought then a rag you made yourself.

I think writing it off like that wil only bring more problems with it instead of a good written plan.
#1 FUJOSHI

Last edited by Mitzuki; October 7th, 2009 at 11:55:40.
Old October 7th, 2009, 13:06:56   #6
Glod Glodsson
Otaku

Personally I agree with Mitzuki, you shoudn't be allowed to copy an act from the internet and use it as your own. I also think that it isn't fair toward others if you repeat an act.

The remark "beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht" shouldn't allow for plagiarism

The big problem unfortunately is that it is impossible to know all the acts done anywhere. So the question should be how do we check for it?

On the other hand, If you're going to re-enact part of an anime/musical and want to use the original recordings for that, fine by me. Know however that the jury will take that fact into account if they reccognize it (and if they don't, they should IMHO).
Old October 7th, 2009, 13:11:09   #7
Evertred
Events
A! Staff

While I do agree with the idea that all the acts should be original and not something you copied of the internet (or worse: Animecon) I don't think your rule of only orriginal recordings will have the desired effect.

First off all your rule would have disqualified the Super Mario Brothers Breakdance act. The music they used came directly from the tv-series and the mario games. Now you can make an exception to this because it is a dance act but when you start making exceptions where do you stop?

Another example from last year: Our Phoenix Wright act used the "Objection!" soundbyte from the game (yes, I riped that one of the internet, so sue me). Sure we could have said the word ourselves but it wouldn't be as powerfull as the soundbyte. Personally I don't see the problem with this. Also this shouldn't prevent anyone else from using the same soundbyte in the future.

And last but not least: this rule would in no way stop anyone from taking entire scripts from the web just as long as you don't prerecord it. I'm very sorry but I don't believe we should base rules like this on just one bad example.

Personaly the only way to prevent this is having a perfect jury. A jury that knows what's been done on other cons both here in the Netherlands and in America (and everywhere else in the world). Since we don't have that we can just hope the jury sees as much as they can and hope they can catch this sort of abuse. I honsetly believe this works the exact same way in the fashion show and the AMV compo.
Old October 7th, 2009, 13:18:18   #8
Mitzuki
Otaku

I think you are missunderstanding something. I didnt mean they cant use sounds at all unlless they recorded it themselfs. Music, sound effects are hard to come by as it is so making them yourself and having them sound perfect will be hard.

I do think that you can alteast record or say the normal lines yourself.
The blood + act for exaple had lines take from the anime which diva should say. Is it so hard to say them yourself?
Your phoenix wright act had you guys talking yourselfs to didnt it.

Also this isnt about the dance acts seing as it inevitable to use music or choreografy from the original.
#1 FUJOSHI

Old October 7th, 2009, 14:32:33   #9
Rasha
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Rasha

i see your point but in some cases i rather they use voices from the animes...some peoples english is terrible, plus some acts dont allow you to hold a microfone.

as stated above, its up to the judges to take into account what people are using in their acts.

and ofcourse its not nice to steal other peoples acts.

Rasha
is that a lagspike in your pants or are you happy to see me ?
Old October 7th, 2009, 15:33:52   #10
Saniiro-San
Otaku

I don't think the blood+ people have deliberately copied an act done at another dutch convention (I can ofcourse be wrong but I would not hold this very likely).

I agree also with rasha that quite a few times, pre-recorded or even original audio would be prefered over self-spoken when the people themselfs are not confident enough about their english.

Currently we have not yet addopted the standard in our CAC for participation in the World Cosplay Act Compo, but this is something we would love to grow towards. That would indeed mean that the standards for the acts would have to rise to only include original acts without copyright infringing material (where this line lies is something that will have to be investigated. is a soundbyte copyright infringing?). If we ever get this far, my suggestion would be to divide the acts into a group participating in our own CAC, and a group participating in the CAC and also eligible to win a place in the WCAC.

I agree that we should not have an act of which we know was performed recently at another convention, but if it's a completely different group who only use a similar concept, where are we drawing the line?