Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2008

Old October 4th, 2008, 18:06:47   #341
Ikarias
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Ikarias
Default Re: AMV Compo?

i dont think so. it has to be animated, though that would be a fine line between for for instance advent children.

- Timo 'Tamaki' van Buuren (Anime nation crew-controlling staf)
Abunai 2007 AMV - Ego
Anime08 AMV - cancelled
Abunai 2008 AMV - The longing
Abunai 2010 AMV - AMV MATERIALIZE (joined venture with Seria1337)
Anime11 EMV - The titty song (1st place)
Old October 4th, 2008, 21:36:06   #342
Niotex
Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Niotex Send a message via MSN to Niotex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saniiro-San View Post
but even then there is a huge chance to get it shown, for instance just before the show or afterwards, or at the opening/ending ceremony etc (or even at a special event for all people who send in video material (amv or otherwise), who knows?).
VAT

Quote:
now, ofcourse making AMV's is also based on skill, but the judging is based on taste and can (not saying it will but...) be influenced. which is why we have decided on a rule for staff members like this quite some time ago already.
I honestly feel that judging shouldn't rely just on mere taste. You have to understand both sides in order to make a fair call in my opinion. This is why when you rely strictly on pardon my words "novice" judges, you get completely different voting results then someone who knows whats up. A good example of this would be how Rellik a few years ago got shafted by novice judges because they were simply too stupid to see and understand what had done with his video. This leading too immense frustration amongst almost all of the editors at the time. It's like having chef cooks battle for stars while having a snack bar junkie judging the dishes. If he sees something that even vaguely resembles something he normally likes he'll choose that without even understanding or appreciating the complexity of both dishes.
Old October 4th, 2008, 22:05:46   #343
Power2All
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Power2All Send a message via Yahoo to Power2All

I really don't call myself novice to be honest, neither is Alex and Dale (which is a technician for your information and does know pretty much about video editting as well).
To balance our skills with not so skilled people, we introduced a few random judges, which one of them is a good friend of mine that just watched AMV's for the good will of him and he doesn't know ANYTHING regarding technical aspects (except that he knows that a 320x240 sized video file is just wrong xD).

It's a different way of judging as you are used to Niotex, just accept it how it has been done this year.
If you think you can contribute something again next year with Abunai 2009, I won't stop you, you know you could always asked me things, but you never did ^^

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION !
DJ @ Abunai! 2007, Abunai! 2009, Hasshin 2010, Abunai! 2010
Former Drummer of the J-rock band Slightly Spring, new band in the making
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:49:28   #344
Ikarias
Otaku

if i recall correctly (pardon the intrusion) anime'08 had a public judge for each of the editors. So for 12 judges from the audience, there would be 12 judges whith some form of video-editing skills. This seems very fair to me, since the technical judges have to choose an amv from a fellow compeditor, thus looking more carefully at not only their's, but their own amv aswell.

so there's 12 technical judges, and 12 novice judges. 12 for the eye, 12 for the tech.

seems ballanced to me.

Abunai 2007 AMV - Ego
Anime08 AMV - cancelled

Last edited by Ikarias; October 5th, 2008 at 01:51:25. Reason: clarified some lines.
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:04:53   #345
Niotex
Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Niotex Send a message via MSN to Niotex

Thing is if I ask you guys anything related to what I do and on the level that I work. Be it for my own projects as well as my clients, you guys would probably draw a blank. In the end compared to multiple editors in our local community [Whom I don't even need to name and myself not even included] you guys are still "novice". And that is fine I personally don't expect you guys to be on top of everything.

Uhh I wasn't talking about this particular contest rather just in general. I have accepted that but that still doesn't mean I can't give criticism. I deliberately didn't ask about anything up until things were finalized because I wasn't involved this year. I've had other things on my mind which just didn't give room for this. But despite that I still feel some form of responsibility over this contest, as we were moving in a generally good direction the last few years. The way the audience feels about video's and the increasing popularity is proof of that.

Perhaps I'll contribute my service to the contest next year. Maybe I'll just enter the contest or just like this year sit on the sidelines. Who knows only time will tell. Regardless of where I stand, sit or pass out I'll always criticize and plead for some form of improvement. Be it for myself, the con, the guests or the editors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarias View Post
if i recall correctly (pardon the intrusion) anime'08 had a public judge for each of the editors. So for 12 judges from the audience, there would be 12 judges whith some form of video-editing skills. This seems very fair to me, since the technical judges have to choose an amv from a fellow compeditor, thus looking more carefully at not only their's, but their own amv aswell.

so there's 12 technical judges, and 12 novice judges. 12 for the eye, 12 for the tech.

seems ballanced to me.
We had 2 separate contests basically which in the end worked out better then expected. Actually they turned out too good initially as we were almost forced to give both prizes to the same video. So last minute we winged it and altered it on the fly. Which essentially made everyone happy as the results were pretty much all the same across the board for everyone. Having both editors and guests engaged in the contest really added something to the contest I think. And given the chance I would probably expand upon that method of judging. Essentially keeping that system but flesh it out a little and add another category or 2 to spice it up a little for the contenders. But that's a bedtime story for another time..

Last edited by Saniiro-San; October 6th, 2008 at 12:35:52. Reason: learn 2 multiquote/edit
Old October 5th, 2008, 03:56:41   #346
Ikarias
Otaku

bed time? a real Otaku stay up to watch the next raw...

anyway, two or three prizes would indeed spice things up. Like a tech and an audiance prize. i think the number of contestands is to low for a seperate comedy price for example.

Abunai 2007 AMV - Ego
Anime08 AMV - cancelled