Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2008

Old October 2nd, 2008, 00:24:09   #1
T_Bone_X_Zeo

Send a message via MSN to T_Bone_X_Zeo
Default BEMANI games feedback

Didn't want to pollute the gamesroom thread with this so here we go.

beatmania IIDX and Pop'n Music

This was the second time that we attempted to make both of these Japanese arcade rhythm games playable on a Dutch anime convention. Upon entering the gameroom I saw a lot of people trying these games and I was wondering what all of you thought of them. It was particularly interesting to see a lot of people trying beatmania IIDX for the first time, considering it has a much steeper learning curve than Pop'n Music.

I'm interested in hearing your feedback and please let us know if you would like to see these games again next year.

(I didn't manage to get a picture taken of the setup on Abunai this year, but I still had this one lying around)

Last edited by T_Bone_X_Zeo; October 2nd, 2008 at 00:48:00.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 03:12:22   #2
Power2All
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Power2All Send a message via Yahoo to Power2All
Default Re: BEMANI games feedback

First time I played IIDX properly...
Until MK came and he was like "noob" and totally pwned me xD

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION !
DJ @ Abunai! 2007, Abunai! 2009, Hasshin 2010, Abunai! 2010
Former Drummer of the J-rock band Slightly Spring, new band in the making
Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:20:33   #3
T_Bone_X_Zeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power2All View Post
and he was like "noob" and totally pwned me xD
Heh, well I suppose he could've been a bit more modest about that :P
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:31:08   #4
RoninTX
Otaku

I played both once and I loved it! I really hope to see them next year too. mabye with double of what was this year?

I know the IIDX was quite popular!
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:24:05   #5
miszou
Staff
A! Staff

It played nice, tho the background noise was often louder than the music for me (headphones could be used?). Also, it needs pop'n AC xD
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:07:06   #6
T_Bone_X_Zeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by miszou View Post
It played nice, tho the background noise was often louder than the music for me (headphones could be used?). Also, it needs pop'n AC xD
About the headphones. That idea had crossed my mind but we would need to have some way of being able to plug in a pair of headphones without taking away the sound from the speakers. Otherwise it wouldn't give spectators the chance to figure out what these games are about.

I thought the sound was okay on saturday and sunday. Having the setup accompanied by a pair of speakers worked pretty well, but I suppose having the option of plugging in some headphones would be the perfect solution, in terms of gameplay.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:46:30   #7
Jake R
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Jake R

I think one of the problems related to sound was that the two games you mentioned were within 5 meters of eachother... and in the same range Rock Band was. Obviously, that gives trouble. I guess that'll have to be prevented next year. Question is; where? Because the Projector Games has even louder noise so you can't move it that way, and at the other side of the room where 2 beamers both accompanied by more volume than the tv's if I remember correctly.

Well, I guess we could always try splitting the sound output to both tv and headphones. It is possible, I'm just not sure what kind of plugs you need. Because it might be so that you can't deselect the 'auto-mute when headphones are plugged in' =P
Old October 2nd, 2008, 19:09:50   #8
cybermaid

Send a message via MSN to cybermaid

Separate "Bemani" room :3 Konami rhythm games only XD

And who spilled water on my IIDX controller? O_O grrrr

www.sparklingpotpourri.com
Old October 2nd, 2008, 23:43:27   #9
T_Bone_X_Zeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake R View Post
I think one of the problems related to sound was that the two games you mentioned were within 5 meters of eachother... and in the same range Rock Band was. Obviously, that gives trouble. I guess that'll have to be prevented next year. Question is; where? Because the Projector Games has even louder noise so you can't move it that way, and at the other side of the room where 2 beamers both accompanied by more volume than the tv's if I remember correctly.
We'll have to think that through a bit more next year. I personally thought everything turned out nicely. I didn't think IIDX and Rockband interfered that much with one another, but Pop'n Music should've been moved a bit further away since it didn't have it's own set of speakers and was just plain too close to Rock Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake R View Post
Well, I guess we could always try splitting the sound output to both tv and headphones. It is possible, I'm just not sure what kind of plugs you need. Because it might be so that you can't deselect the 'auto-mute when headphones are plugged in' =P
I'm sure that there's something of the sort available, will have to check it out for future conventions.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:35:02   #10
VDZ

Send a message via MSN to VDZ
Thumbs up Re: BEMANI games feedback

Pop'n Music: The game was kind of fun to play, although it was a pity you couldn't really hear the music, making it very difficult to play. The only song I managed to get a reasonable score on was an Ali Project song, because I'd listened to it so many times I had it completely memorized, so I didn't need to be able to hear the music well all the time.

As for BeatMania IIDX 14 Gold...$@#$@^$#%@$#%$%#$ THAT WAS AWESOME. It was simply the best thing at the whole convention, and I must've played it for at least 3 hours, or perhaps even longer...and I was only there on Saturday. I'd never played BeatMania before, although I'd seen it on YouTube videos, and I play DDR (also from Bemani)...but it was totally awesome. It simply HAS TO RETURN next year.
The audio...it wasn't very clear, and I no longer recognize most of the songs I've played on Abunai, but it was good enough to play. Still, it would be nice if it could be improved even more, so you can hear it clearly.
Many thanks to all of the people involved in bringing this amazing game to Abunai.

Also, 'snow storm' is now on my MP3 player. Awesome song.