Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2006

Old October 18th, 2006, 23:07:41   #1
Ealynn

Default Self-made Animations showcase!

Hi - I guess I should be asking around here, too ^_~ the mirror topic is on the aniway forum in the event subforum.

I'm trying to get more home-made animations for a little showcase we are hoping to organize at the Abunai. Currently it consists out of two short animations made by myself and a classmate (we study animation at the HKU). With all the attention being brought to the doujinshi scene we thought it would be nice to bring some to the upcoming animation scene, too ^_^

So if you have produced a short (or long!) animation which can fit a bit into the abunai theme or is somewhat anime-esque, show it to me so we can see if it fits with the general idea. We're looking for a bit more than a couple of stills with just a mouth moving and so on. ^_~ It should be something viewable for an audience on a big screen. PM me a link or reply in this topic if you think you have something lying on the slab.

There may also be a possibility for one big compilation of sketchiness and animated doodles, so you may have something lying around for that.

To see a bit of our stuff look us up here:
Ealynn's showreel
Teensy's showreel
Old October 19th, 2006, 00:44:23   #2
Douggie

That's some cool stuff you guys made there. I liked how you tried all kinds of different stuff/styles/types of animations. I think it would be really nice for you to hold some sort of panel, discussing different aspects of animation. Bot only is it good for anime fans to know what kind of work (even though most of it is now very digital) goes into it (or used to), but it might be handy for people who always wanted to try but never knew how. I'm quite interested in what programs are being used - both in amateur and professional scene.

So is there an upcoming animation scene here in Holland?
ChibiCon '07: A Small Summer Story
AbunaiCon '07: denying//CHANGE
AnimeCon '08: corazón
ChibiCon '08: The Sweetest Sky
AbunaiCon '08: lost & found: MEMORIES
AnimeCon '09: Senpai Says
.org profile
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:35:12   #3
Hoshi

Wow, that was very very cool! I definetly want to watch it, if you are doing it on a big screen on abunai! Please carry on making nice animations like this ^___^
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:56:26   #4
Ealynn

An upcoming scene? I hope so. There's always talk of people wanting to produce an anime or something and I do think there one day will be. It just needs good organizing and a few leading people who know what they are doing. I'm not opting for a position like that now, by the way, as I am way too busy for the moment with my school and internship (the various styles is of course much encouraged by our tutors)...

But I do believe that with a little start like this maybe next year there will be a whole lot more to view. Only then there can really be a workshop animation or something like that. This year I'll be giving a workshop that covers the telling of a story, how to build it up and work it from a concept to a readily script and sketches. Hm... I don't think there's enough time for me to produce an animation workshop or panel just now. I also think I'd need to learn a lot more before doing that ^_^ I feel to much of an amateur right now.

I'm hoping to get some people together that are really wanting to produce animation and see where it takes us from there. This is sort of a first calling to arms, let's see who shows up ^_^

Thanks for your compliments. We will carry on - we'll be wanting to finish our studies of course ^_^ but also for our own enjoyment. I'm really looking forward to start my final school movie in about one and a half year from now. It's terribly exciting, I'm just hoping I'll get inspiration for a really good story to tell.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 22:17:23   #5
Ealynn

For anyone of you who is interested in showing one of your selfmade animations at the abunai either pm me or state so here. When new info about how and where to upload your animation is made known to me by the abunai staff, I will pm you the details ^_^
Old October 22nd, 2006, 23:47:05   #6
Solar
Otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to Solar

Gorgeous animation that's for sure, makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Often a pleasant feeling that only 2d animation can give you

I don't have enough proper animation to show off, I just fiddle about sometimes like I do with most projects and sometimes something turns out that's animated, crazy stuff like animating with coffee powder.
Don't have much talent myself though, but I love to watch beautiful animations

I will cheer on this project!
Old October 25th, 2006, 23:50:20   #7
Douggie

Ealynn, when and what time will the showcase or the workshop be? I'm eager to check that out - or do we really have to be at your douijinshi-stand (Open Mind right?)? I guess a workshop about story-telling is pretty good. The biggest mistakes people make when they start animation, writing comics or even stuff like movies is the fact that most of the time everyting looks too random and the shots are way to far/wide - or at least, that's what I noticed way back, not knowing what I or other people exactly did/do wrong at that time (but knowing someting was wrong though). Built-up and structure is quite important.

Hey, you were the one that wanted to show the self-drawn AMV at animecon right?

Anyway, hope to see you and your workshop there!

BTW. Is there much work to do here in Holland, or is it your dream to go to Japan and eventually do animations there (but I guess it must take quite a time to become an animation/art director or maybe even key animator as you don't want to be just an inbetweener!)? Makes me kinda wonder, are there special animation schools there?
ChibiCon '07: A Small Summer Story
AbunaiCon '07: denying//CHANGE
AnimeCon '08: corazón
ChibiCon '08: The Sweetest Sky
AbunaiCon '08: lost & found: MEMORIES
AnimeCon '09: Senpai Says
.org profile
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:40:20   #8
Ealynn

Hi Douggie,

The time of the showcase hasn't been confirmed yet. We're juggling with two options - expect to hear about it here, or at the abunai itself as the final day is rapidly drawing closer.

The storytelling workshop will be from saturday 13:00 to 14:30 at the Vergaderzaal 3 at the Vrijhof. As the whole workshop thingy is organised as a manga workshop provider - mine while also be about the manga aspect but, as I just recently have started my internship at a studio in belgium who is coproducing a feature film, expect to hear me talking about that too - animation is reallllllly on my mind at the moment and I'm very thrilled by everything I see around me there - I'll probably won't shut up about it.
Anyhoo, I'll be talking about my experience with plotlines, storytelling and things I learned at school or in other places. I'm not a pro, but I do hope I can share my experiences with newcomers and fellow artists as well. I agree that there has to be done a lot more thinking before actual drawing should persue.
Aniway, expect me to be a little bit hyper, nervous and giggly during that time ^_^

About the work... hmm.. it's better abroad (school are better and more prestigous there too, especially france). But since all the aspiring dutch animators do go abroad there is no florishing industry here. It's a little complex, I'll explain later. Hopefully, the winds of change keep blowing. There always is need for commercial projects though, but daring artistic things... you don't find that often in the open. I do not know my destination yet. But utmost and foremost I am a storyteller and I know I will not be satisfied animating commercials and other peoples ideas... so... I still have to figure out how that will leave me happy, right and not a financial wreck.
Old October 26th, 2006, 13:06:59   #9
Chibs
Otaku

May I humbly request the showcase not to be on Friday? I don't want to miss it ^^
Abunai '06 entry: Every Sky, Every Kiss.
Acon '07 entry: Like Biscuit Crumbs.
Chibicon '07 entry: High Volume.
Abunai '07 entry: See You Soon.
Acon '08 entry: Dayvan Cowboy. (Spaceship AMV)
Abunai '09 WIP: Clinically Dead.
Old October 27th, 2006, 23:53:03   #10
Ealynn

I have a feeling it was indeed held friday, today. Sadly, I had to miss it, too as I was still in Belgium. Perhaps we can find time to show them again if the staff is willing. Somewhere after the AMV compo or at the closing ceremony.

If you're interested in seeing my little movie again or for the first time - the one with the jester and the boy- you can see it being screened 2nd and 4th of november at the Holland Animation Film Festival - you can reserve tickets for the student competition ensamble where it's part of at www.haff.nl. The movie's called 'Voorbij het Venster' and it's part of the fifth ensamble. ^_^