Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2014

Old September 10th, 2014, 23:43:05   #381
Ploxerdon
Otaku

Default Re: AMV Compo Rules + FAQ + Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salafor View Post
Not really helping, nor did I say that I'd use 4K. It was just a question.

The question about the 4K beamer was just for my own interest ^^ because then it sure is a beast of a machine xD

And when there's 4K sources available then I'll know we can use it at Abunai! Stretching doesn't seem like a good idea to me either xD unless it's completely touched up and improved but that's out of my reach in terms of skill.

The question about h.265 kind of originated from the request for sending in the standard codecs/formats and to refrain from 'exotic' codecs (such as DTS). I'll keep it in mind and try out the h.265 codec when it is more widely supported

Thanks for the answers!

H.265 is indeed the new version of h.264. It can hold more kbps in a stream with the upside of it all using up 50% less size. So, it is higher quality in less MBs!

Which is quite useful, since most videos get bigger (with 4K coming up for example), but the devices on which content is being played are smaller in computing power (smartphones).

It's been in the make since... 2013 or so, and one of the advantages is that if a device can play h.264 it can play h.265 since the codes are similair but require less computing power. The only requirement is that the software is updated
Sounds good, when its widely supported, tell me, i won't mind using it if its really that good
Old September 11th, 2014, 12:18:57   #382
Saniiro-San
Otaku

By the way, if you guys have any feedback on which containers and codecs should make the "default accepted list" do let us know! As I explained we keep it limited for safety reasons (and do accept 'exotic' codecs bar some specific ones we stated if they end up running fine without problems) but it can of course run behind the facts pretty fast.

Same goes for any feedback on the rest of the rules or FAQ items really.
Old September 11th, 2014, 19:40:38   #383
Kaijuu

I think most of it has been said. I know it's kind of a bother weeding through the flames in this thread, but it's been said already.
The only thing I can guess about the intermitting lag during the showing is that some background process decided to mess things up, which is one of many reasons I refuse to use a computer for video playback when it matters. But that's only a theory.
That being said: there is something I do like to share with all of you. Not just Abunai staff.

I do think that the audience deserves as much a good show as the judges: the lag might not have been present during judging and thus not of influence on the scores, it's the audience who also deserves a stable show without lag.
Admitting you didn't test the show on the player you're using to play the finalists on is a sign of disrespect towards those who make the show.
Doesn't mater whether you didn't have time to check or your player quit on you or whatever: please make time. Please make sure you have a backup system which also has been tested with the files you're going to play.

Video is a finicky thing and there are so many reasons why something can go wrong.
I'm looking forward to next year.
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:26:33   #384
Saniiro-San
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijuu View Post
The only thing I can guess about the intermitting lag during the showing is that some background process decided to mess things up
Nope, machine was fine, lag was in the AV system but tiny (<60ms). During the test run we did not notice the lag as being as disruptive as from the feedback we got from you (the editors). Already have an idea on how to calibrate better for next year.

Quote:
Admitting you didn't test the show on the player you're using to play the finalists on is a sign of disrespect towards those who make the show.
This is a very flawed and accusing assumption: we did test it on the system we ran the material on during the show. During the test we noticed no lag. Of course during the testing we didn't ran the footage through a beast of a beamer which was halfway across a big hall. As stated above, we will work on this.

Quote:
Doesn't mater whether you didn't have time to check or your player quit on you or whatever: please make time. Please make sure you have a backup system which also has been tested with the files you're going to play.
Again, very flawed and accusing assumption (who said we didn't have time? Who said our player quit? Who said we did not have a backup system?), please try and stay constructive in your feedback.

Yes, there might have been a tiny amount of lag. Yes, maybe the most video savvy people out there noticed... No I don't think the major part of the audience noticed or that it diminished their enjoyment of the show. We hold both the editors and the audience in equally high regard. We have a very good reputation with our AMV shows regarding technical issues, and we already have ideas to combat this small lag we experienced this year. We will work hard to keep up this tradition of pretty much (technically) flawless AMV shows.
Old September 12th, 2014, 20:26:52   #385
Anowil

It's not really feedback but would you guys consider allowing intro's with the editor names/amv names for next year? I personally would love to do that, and see what other's come up with naturally.
Maybe you could set up some rules for them if you're afraid that it will be chaotic if to many different styled intro's will be made? For example, you could make a rule where the intro has to be related to the theme of that years abunaicon.
Old October 6th, 2014, 03:16:39   #386
Kaijuu

At first, I wanted to let it rest, but it still bothers me a bit, so this is my final feedback. Sanniiro-san: if you know me, you know I don't make assumptions lightly and while some things can't be said for certain because Abunai remains tight-lipped about things, even though it's rather circe to do so, I definitely heard Floris say he didn't test stuff.
You dismissing my posts as something written by someone who doesn't have his shit together is insulting and out of line.

I've been doing audio, video and lighting for a few decades now, and I'd like to claim to know a thing or two about it and like to put it to good use.
So I wish you good luck on your endeavours: I have other things to do.