Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > General > News

Old June 21st, 2005, 14:35:36   #11
Saniiro-San
Otaku

wouldn't those fall under the off-topic catagory?
and if a topic is posted which has rules in it's first post I think it should be clear already...
something like that must be common sence, not really worthy of a rule other then the ones stated already.

badly enough some people just can't read, or just don't read the first post.

-ps- it's annoying you can't edit posts in an announcement thread :-/
Old February 19th, 2006, 18:47:38   #12
kageki
Otaku

rule added by request: it is not allowed to post illegal/grey contents or links to illegal/grey contents like anime, movies, music etc (unless you own the copyright)

we would like to keep this forum nice and legal - thank you for your cooperation ^_~
kageki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:40:49   #13
miraizou
Staff
A! Staff

Today I added a new rule, which should actually be common sense in my opinion. It is NOT allowed to hotlink to avatars hosted on this forum!
Doing this creates an extra load on the Abunai-server and is actually just stealing Abunai's bandwidth. Yesterday someone even tried to crash the server using a request on a avatar which originated from an other forum.

People who keep trespassing this rule will have their avatar removed and if this just keep occuring we might just cancel the option of uploading your own avatar to the Abunai-forum.

sincerly yours,

miraizou (mod)
Old May 19th, 2006, 14:15:16   #14
Power2All
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Power2All Send a message via Yahoo to Power2All

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraizou
Today I added a new rule, which should actually be common sense in my opinion. It is NOT allowed to hotlink to avatars hosted on this forum!
Doing this creates an extra load on the Abunai-server and is actually just stealing Abunai's bandwidth. Yesterday someone even tried to crash the server using a request on a avatar which originated from an other forum.

People who keep trespassing this rule will have their avatar removed and if this just keep occuring we might just cancel the option of uploading your own avatar to the Abunai-forum.

sincerly yours,

miraizou (mod)
Linking a image from a other server (avatar) won't crash the server, it was probably a exploited file that tries to infect your pc with some code thats implemented in the image.
People should be able to add avatars from other places (like I do with mine), but yah, its stealing.

(shoot now you mention it, ill fix my sig right now)

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION !
DJ @ Abunai! 2007, Abunai! 2009, Hasshin 2010, Abunai! 2010
Former Drummer of the J-rock band Slightly Spring, new band in the making
Power2All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 16:34:57   #15
Saniiro-San
Otaku

well, first off all p2a: you own the forum (more or less) where you are hosting the avatar so that's not hotlinking.

second off all, the image was used as a base for the attack in this case (clearly visible in the log file). it wasn't that the image itself was corrupted or something, it was just used as a link to this forum where the HTTP_REFERER header came from another forum where the avatar was hotlinked at.

hotlinking is never good. many websites even counter the use of hotlinking through scripts and other mechanics.
when hotlinking to images you go around the normal way of addressing those images, wether it's through a download page or a gallery. linking directly to an image you are hosting somewhere for this sole purpose does NOT count as hotlinking.

you shouldn't put more stress on a server then needed. just upload the avatar as some place which is meant to be used for this (like photobucket etc). (ab)using the facilities of another place for personal use isn't a decent thing to do...
Old August 3rd, 2006, 00:49:30   #16
miraizou
Staff
A! Staff

Forum rules change:

From now on you are allowed to use a somewhat larger banner in your signature, 120 pixels in stead of 100 pixels.

greets,

miraizou (mod)