Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > General > News

Closed Thread

Old August 9th, 2011, 22:55:21   #1
Saniiro-San
Otaku

Exclamation Server Downtime

As many have noticed we had some downtime of the server the past 2 days (08-08-2011 - 09-08-2011). Everything is up and running again now though, and no data seems to have been lost.

If you miss any forum posts please let us know.

Please also remember to check your registration to see if everything is still fine to be on the safe side. Send us an email with your registration information if you feel something is not right (Please do NOT ask us through the forum/twitter/facebook, but be sure to use email or the contact form on the website!)
Old August 10th, 2011, 00:25:27   #2
Neko-Jinnie
Otaku

Send a message via ICQ to Neko-Jinnie Send a message via MSN to Neko-Jinnie Send a message via Skype™ to Neko-Jinnie
Default Re: Server Downtime

yay, glad it's back again x3
I blamed my laptop,
but seems it was a problem in general :]

YT: http://www.youtube.com/user/xNekomimi93x
FB: http://www.facebook.com/JinnieJJ
---------------------------------
Abunai '10: Utau Hoshina
Abunai '11: Hinata Hyuga / Shippuden, Utau Hoshina, Mio Akiyama
Old August 10th, 2011, 13:20:20   #3
Konan_Angel

XD im already a forum addict XD i was like why doesnt it work!! OMG!! XD

http://youtu.be/ufgFeYiq8l8
Old August 10th, 2011, 13:22:34   #4
Denzil
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Denzil Send a message via Skype™ to Denzil

Well,
80% of all internet problems is not caused by the system (or in your case laptop) it self.
50% of the internet problems is modem related, cable related or ISP related (Internet Service Provider)
20% of the internet problems is related due no existance of the website, typo's in URL's, or missing data in a DNS (Domain Name Services) Server where you are connected to.
30% of the rest of the internet problems is caused by the website/server it self. Which should host the internet service such as a website.

It's easily to check.
You can't reach abunai. What do you do.
1. First of all, check your connection status. Is it offline, then the problem is on your side. Is it online go to step 2
2. Check if you can enter an other website, for instance google is a great example. Best servers online of the world so there is just a little chance that it goes offline. You can't reach google, go to step 2a. You can, go to step 3.
2a. Go to start, and type in run and hit enter, or click on run. Then type in CMD. Type in the new window: "ping google.com" if it returns an ip adress with a succes ping, that must be strange because you should be able to reach the website. So the problem is mostly inside your house. Or maybe its between the computer and the seat.
If it returns an IP, but an time-out. Then the host (the website google in this case) is offline.
If it doesn't return an IP, then your DNS server where you are connected to, is offline, or your ISP has some connection issues.
3. So you're able to surf to other websites.. But not this particular website called Abunai. Well, lets do a few checks again! To be sure it isn't a DNS problem go to start, hit or type run (enter), and type in the little window CMD. Use the commando ping stichtingabunai.nl
if it returns an IP but a succesfull ping, the page you wanted to reach might not excist or you are doing something wrong.
If it doesn't return a IP (and so a time-out) then there isn't any domain name record found in your DNS server. Which means your particular internet connection, doesn't know who or what stichtingabunai.nl is.

Easy right?

Now I will lighten you up, with some terms I used, which might have confused you.
System, Computer, Laptop, Personal Computer: Well if that confused you.. then I really wonder how you got here.
ISP or Internet Service Provider: This is just an ICT term for an Internet Provider. Or in other words, the Company who gives you the internet connection. (Ex. KPN, which is one of the worst ISP's of the Netherlands. And I know it, because I've got it myself)
DNS or Domain Name Services: This is simply, but advanced. The whole internet is based on numbers. Ex. The real adress of stichtingabunai.nl is 62.75.138.xxx I covered the last numbers for safety reasons. But for a human it is hard to remember, or even know the real adress, which uses an IPv4 protocol and a IPv6 Protocol in the future, of a website/host. So some briliant guy, came with a solution. Domain Names. Domain names are just like our names. a first name and a last name. Ex. StichtingAbunai is the first name and NL (shortterm of NetherLands) is it's lastname. Because, the website name is StichtingAbunai and the location of the convention is in The Netherlands.
So we've got the adress named stichtingabunai.nl . This adress is stored in a so called DNS server. And it is really simple stored in a really simpel table.

PHP Code:
/***DomainName*********IpAdress*******(Optional)port**
**stichtingabunai.nl******62.75.138.xxx******** 80 ******
**google.com**********74.125.79.147******** 80 *******
**google.nl************74.125.79.104******** 80 ******/ 
And whenever you go to a website such as stichtingabunai.nl you actually ask (just one time, unless your temporary files are deleted) to your DNS server. "Hey, I've got the website stichtingabunai.nl. Do you know what the adress is?"
It might respond with "No" or "Yes, 62.75.138.xxx on port 80".
If it doesn't know the adress, you won't be able to reach a website with the adres stichtingabunai.nl if it does know the adress well.. Do I really need to tell you?

[b]Ping[b]: Ping is a really easy command designed by bill gates if I'm correct. And implented as default these days in every Windows, Mac (as an other command) or Linux (again other command) system. Even servers got them. It kinda does the same as a webbrowser, but a bit simplier. You've got an adress. It asks the real adress at the DNS server. And then simply gives the adress a "Hello, are you there" message. (Not really ofcourse, but a matter of speaking). Where the host, which you want to connect with, reply's with "Yes I'm here". If it receives the message and can reply to it. Furthermore it measures the time it uses to reach eachother from sending te message untill receiving a reply. And it shows you the IP or, in other words the real adress.
A time-out: The term Time-out is a over used term actually. But in computer terms, or nerd terms if you preffer, it means there wasn't a respond between a line of time. ex. The command Ping gives, if I'm correct, 6 seconds (or actually 6000ms) to an server to respond. If it doesn't respond between that time, it will be called an time-out.

IPv4 and IPv6: This is something that you don't want to know. Unless you want to keep reading for the next 7 days. It's easy, yet complicated to explain. Just call it a difference in digits.
IPv4 uses the pattern xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and it can never be lower then 0.0.0.0 or higher then 255.255.255.255 all IP adresses which uses an 0 at the end (ex 10.0.0.0) are called "the network", which are useless for a network to give it to an system, yet it's needed to keep the network functional. the IP's between 10.0.0.0 and 10.255.255.254 are called IP class D. And where used as home IP's back in the 90ies. And bla bla bla bla bla bla. I told you, you don't want to know. IPv6 is much and much more complicated.
Old August 10th, 2011, 13:33:51   #5
Konan_Angel

(quote denzil)

Lolz i think u studied something with computers i'm just guessing xD

Thank you for the great explanation!!

http://youtu.be/ufgFeYiq8l8
Old August 10th, 2011, 13:39:43   #6
Denzil
Otaku

still studying :P
Old August 10th, 2011, 13:53:26   #7
InfiniteDistance

The ping command was definitely not created by Bill Gates. :d

As well as that piece of code is definitely not PHP.

But a simple method for people to check if a site is down for just you or everyone:

www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com

Abunai! 2011: Houjou Satoshi (Higurashi)
Old August 10th, 2011, 13:55:28   #8
Naito-San
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konan_Angel View Post
XD im already a forum addict XD i was like why doesnt it work!! OMG!! XD
try the aniway forum then ;p lot more active than the abunai forum
Old August 10th, 2011, 13:59:44   #9
Denzil
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDistance View Post
The ping command was definitely not created by Bill Gates. :d

As well as that piece of code is definitely not PHP.

But a simple method for people to check if a site is down for just you or everyone:

www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com
I know that that piece of code isn't PHP :P I just wanted a code bar around the table. But I simply chose PHP because I like PHP :P.
But I was just simply recalling the lecture I had 2 years ago about Internet resources.
Old August 11th, 2011, 01:15:24   #10
ghost010
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
I know that that piece of code isn't PHP :P I just wanted a code bar around the table. But I simply chose PHP because I like PHP :P.
But I was just simply recalling the lecture I had 2 years ago about Internet resources.
lol. it looked like you scooped that whole part from internet.
though im not saying you didnt knew these things your self.

hell im a website make/android developer/flash site maker/graphics designer.
and i dont even know php
Closed Thread