Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2014

Old June 18th, 2014, 09:38:24   #21
ChronoDensetsu
Otaku

Default Re: AMV Compo Rules + FAQ + Q&A

Hello everyone,

Sorry about the late reply, I've been busy with exams and the such.

An answer to your questions:

Q: Does the projector support 60 FPS?
A: I'm reasonably sure that it does, I will check this with our technical staff and get back to you with a definitive answer. Edit: This is indeed the case.

Q: Which aspect ratio's can be used?
A: I advise you to use 16:9 or 4:3. Letterboxing to trim the aspect ratio is allowed, but I'm not sure what the result of a different base aspect ratio will be on our screen.

Q: Does my intro need to be silent white/black or can I start/extend the music into them?
A: You can start the music track during the intro or let extend it into the outro a bit, as long as the actual AMV-part does not exceed the 180 second limit. Keep in mind that this is done at your own risk, and may cost you points in the judging process if it feels too forced. Of course, be sure to read the rules on what information you are allowed to put in your intro and outro.

Q: I cannot access the pdf, what am I doing wrong?
A: You didn't do anything wrong, I did. This was a permissions issue which should have been fixed now. My apologies for the inconvenience. Please note that we are using an editable pdf for the first time this year as an experiment. If you have any problems filling it out, be sure to let me know, though it should be okay if you save the edited pdf as a new file.

I'm looking forward to your entries!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf abunai2014_amv_signup.pdf (399.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by ChronoDensetsu; June 19th, 2014 at 17:39:23.
Old June 18th, 2014, 23:33:53   #22
imp
Otaku

I have been thinking about it for a while now and I seem to run in circles.
Every time I end up at the same denouement.

Editing is a fun and exhausting avocation, and the limits are mostly set only by ourselves.
Yet these contests place another set of rules upon us.
The reasons behind most rules are perfectly understandable, and this post should not lead to discussions about the policies.

The impetus for this note is the following.
After completing an AMV I mostly get overexcited, unless, the editing process included diminishing the audio track.
Then I just feel drained.
The most bothersome side is the knowing that I will have to cut down on the next AMV and the AMV after that whenever I want to compete.

And now on to the concluding part:
I won't be joining this competition this year, because I want to edit what I really want, and not the part, the competition limits me to.
Further, I won't compromise on this anytime soon.
The only exception would be if I unexpectedly come across a song that conforms the rules, maybe something about a rabbit, who knows?

This might seem like an excessively long post just to declare that I won't join this competition, and it is even one where two thirds of the other contestants don't know me. Actually, this post is rather on the long side and I won't mind if you actually skipped through it without reading anything. I still love you. If there is anything that could be learned from this post, then that would be that there is this wonderful site called thesaurus that provides you with peculiar metonyms for already unfamiliar expressions.

tl;dr version:
*cough*

Last edited by imp; June 18th, 2014 at 23:38:34. Reason: Mended small syntax inaccuracies.
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:45:53   #23
ChronoDensetsu
Otaku

Sad to hear you're not competing this year, Imp, I really liked your entry last year. Also sad to hear you feel that the rules we use hold you back. I'm always open to feedback regarding them, because in the end this competition is made to be fun for you editors and not to restrain your creativity.

Feedback is always welcome at amv@abunaicon.nl, or feedback@abunaicon.nl for more general feedback.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:45:47   #24
Zilverwilg

Could you use an AMV on another competition, if you failed to reach the big screen? Because there was a preselection to reduce the participated AMV's. (More AMV's then time to show them.)
Old June 24th, 2014, 21:43:17   #25
Ploxerdon
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilverwilg View Post
Could you use an AMV on another competition, if you failed to reach the big screen? Because there was a preselection to reduce the participated AMV's. (More AMV's then time to show them.)
Probably yes, as the audience hasn't seen it yet.
But if you failed to reach the big screen, the AMV probably has errors and stuff you need to fix, as it hasn't reached the big screen for a reason.

As for the competition, anyone here started on their part yet? There isn't that much time left! Personally, i started on my project today. I tend to switch between amvs too much...
Old June 24th, 2014, 22:56:33   #26
imp
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploxerdon View Post
Probably yes, as the audience hasn't seen it yet.
But if you failed to reach the big screen, the AMV probably has errors and stuff you need to fix, as it hasn't reached the big screen for a reason.
is what I wanted to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploxerdon View Post
As for the competition, anyone here started on their part yet? There isn't that much time left! Personally, i started on my project today. I tend to switch between amvs too much...
Haha, well, you better not get kicked out of the quickening or you'll have to stick to a single project ^.-

on a side note:
that mail I just received really makes abunai seem desperate (and spammy) in my opinion.

Last edited by imp; June 24th, 2014 at 22:57:54. Reason: received a mail :o
Old June 24th, 2014, 23:21:41   #27
ChronoDensetsu
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post

on a side note:
that mail I just received really makes abunai seem desperate (and spammy) in my opinion.

All editors that competed last year got an invitation for this year, this is customary. If this feels like spam to you, you can disregard it, you knew about this year's competition already anyway.

Last edited by ChronoDensetsu; June 24th, 2014 at 23:23:56.
Old June 24th, 2014, 23:26:03   #28
Ploxerdon
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoDensetsu View Post
It is customary to send out an invitation to all editors that competed the year before, I just hadn't found the time for it yet.
I didn't receive it previous year..
But i agree with Imp, i think it sounds quite desperate.

*points at unanswered question from Zilverwilg* i am quite interested about the answer to this question too.

Also, making progress on my personal entry for abunai~
Old June 24th, 2014, 23:33:31   #29
Saniiro-San
Otaku

Might have ended up in your spambox then because I'm 100% sure I sent one last year as well (and the years before that), to all editors I had the e-mail address of which participated from 2009 up till and including 2012.
Old June 24th, 2014, 23:40:13   #30
ChronoDensetsu
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilverwilg View Post
I've discussed this a bit and have decided on this:

If your AMV gets rejected at our competition, you are allowed to enter with it in another competition if their rules allow it, we can't say anything about the rules that other competitions use, of course.
Where the rules for our competition on this point are concerned, you are allowed to enter your AMV into our competition if it hasn't got any prior screening. If it got rejected in the preliminaries of another competition, and therefore hasn't been shown to an audience yet, it is still accepted by us as a valid entry. Keep in mind that we might reject it for the same reasons though, be sure to use any feedback you might have received to improve upon your work.

Last edited by ChronoDensetsu; June 25th, 2014 at 00:33:18.