Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > General > General Chat

Old March 30th, 2016, 15:33:57   #1
Hyosung_Park

Send a message via Skype™ to Hyosung_Park
Red face Abunai 2016 - Who's ready?

So I'll be attending Abunai for the very first time this year! I am super exited but most of all super nervous! I don't know what to expect and I will be going on my own so that's even more nerve wrecking

I really want to make new friends and meet people whom i'll be able to meet at Abunai as well~

Leave a message if you'll be attending this year, may it be your first time or you 100th xD and message me or add me as a friend if you want to make my first Abunai experience less scary by meeting me there, even if it's just to say Hello

^Me. All day, Every day.

Hyosung_Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 23:43:48   #2
WINGCAPMAN

Send a message via MSN to WINGCAPMAN
Default Re: Abunai 2016 - Who's ready?

My body isn't ready yet. I'm having some trouble with my feral fox plush project, and I kinda forgot about fixing/updating my cosplay for this year.

I'm going to cosplay as Commander Keen (id software, those old DOS games for the curious ones who don't know this character), I noticed my helmet was really just too tight on my head, so I need to make a new one. xP

Maybe as the last day I'm going to cosplay as myself, I wanted to go for Megaman, but since my Mega Blaster wasn't allowed to bring it anywhere because it could shoot little paper balls (ugh), then I'll just go with the stuff I have left. Let's see how this year's Abunai! will be!
WINGCAPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 17:11:33   #3
Ichigo2467

Smile Re: Abunai 2016 - Who's ready?

Last year was my first time on Abunai, i get the feel o^o

but believe me, its fun!~ i'm also going this year again as Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man
Old April 23rd, 2016, 17:30:06   #4
Roeduif

Ahh have fun! This will be my third time Abunai
Be prepared, it's kinda hectic. Hectic but fun!
Roeduif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 19:20:51   #5
pasquiorra

This will be my 4th year at Abunai, looking forward to meet some amazing new people ! I will be going as Morgiana and Aladdin from Magi
pasquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 01:34:00   #6
Go-iku

100th time? Nah, but i've been going since 2006 so that's a pretty long time too XD Nowadays I spend my time there as dealer.

You'll be fine! Mark my words, you're going there alone and will leave the place with 20 new friends. That's what happened to me after my first convention experience and I wasn't exactly the 'outgoing' type back then. The keyword is cosplay and being openminded.

If you're looking for fun and meeting people that share the same interests as you, Abunai is the place to go to! Just enjoy yourself.
Go-iku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 17:30:36   #7
Roeduif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-iku View Post
You'll be fine! Mark my words, you're going there alone and will leave the place with 20 new friends. That's what happened to me after my first convention experience and I wasn't exactly the 'outgoing' type back then. The keyword is cosplay and being openminded.

If you're looking for fun and meeting people that share the same interests as you, Abunai is the place to go to! Just enjoy yourself.
I completely second this! If you like someone's cosplay, say it. If you see you share the same fandom with someone, just say it, really. You'll be fine!
Roeduif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:11:22   #8
Rikuou

i'll be there for the very first time also this year ! i'm planning to go only on saturday though, is there btw any room to change ? ;p since i'm coming by car but my cosplay is realy uncomfortable to drive with lol
Rikuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 21:20:18   #9
Fhant
Staff
A! Staff

I know that the last few years they have made a dressing room on the con grounds for males and females.

I do not know if they will do so this year.
Fhant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 16:09:20   #10
jiriw
Otaku

Send a message via ICQ to jiriw Send a message via MSN to jiriw

Abunai! has always been a very sociable con. There are lots of places inside the con-grounds where you can chill, with friends or alone, quietly taking in the other con-goers passing by. You won't be acting strange if you express your opinion about someone's cosplay or want to take a picture - as long as you ask nicely.

If you have any Japan related hobbies or interests (other than anime) and there's a workshop or lecture about it, make sure to mark on the roster when they will happen and visit. You're sure to meet more people interested in the same topic. Maybe talking to 'strangers' you share an interest with will not be so nerve wracking.

During the convention opening hours there will also be spontaneous events... people scheduling only a few days before or even during the convention... sometimes it just happens... to just meet each other at a certain time, for example to play certain games (weerwolven, trading card games, etc). If it's a game you know and like, ask if you can join.

If you like mobile gaming (Nintendo DS, etc.), be sure to bring along your handheld and pay a visit to the mobile gaming corner, or if you like to read manga, be sure to check out the Manga Kissa. Although talking loudly isn't appreciated there, for obvious reasons, it's still a nice, quiet place where you can meet some new people in a relaxed atmosphere.

There are also events that attract massive audiences, like the cosplay and AMV competitions, the concert/discos, the dealer room. They attract massive audiences for obvious reasons... not the best places to socialize, but fun in their own right.

I think my first Abunai! was in 2005, when I was still (only) 29 years old. I know I slept in a tent that weekend on the 'Abunai! camp grounds' at the Twente University terrain and it was actually freezing :P So I guess I'm almost (I know a couple of people that actually attended the 2003 edition) a veteran. Been a volunteer in one way or another on every one of them (my first convention experience was in the same year, during 'the other' big convention in the Netherlands). This year I'll be helping out with IT related tasks and keeping order in the Materials room (where everyone working to make the convention happen, gets their stuff from). You're always welcome to say hi.
The volunteers (gophers, stewards, staff) that make this convention possible are a special kind of people and also a very sociable group. If you have any questions (and we're not too preoccupied with work that needs to be done at that very moment), just ask.

Last edited by jiriw; May 11th, 2016 at 16:30:33.
jiriw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016, abunai, first time, friends, nervous