Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2012

Old March 26th, 2012, 21:27:38   #1
Rasha
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Rasha
Default EuroCos Preliminaries rules [SIGN-UPS ARE FULL]

The sign-ups for the Euro Cosplay Competition preliminaries are open!

Euro Cosplay Competition (EuroCos)

This year will be the second year for Abunai! to hold the preliminary round for the EuroCos, of which the winner will be sent to the MCM Expo in London on the 26th - 28th of October 2012 to represent our convention and country.

Below you will find the rules for this competition as an addition to the rules which have already been defined for the Cosplay Fashion Show. So all rules from the CFS will also apply here, unless stated otherwise in this thread. These rules only apply to the preliminary round at Abunai!, different rules may apply to the actual final at the MCM Expo.

Additional Rules for the Preliminary
  • This is a singles only competition.
  • Participants have to be at least 18 years of age on the 26th of October 2012
  • Participants have to be able to attend the MCM Expo in London from the 26th - 28th of October 2012.
  • Costumes for the EuroCosplay must be from: anime, manga, Video Games or from illustrated sources relating to one of these. Original Character (OC) Cosplays are not allowed.
  • Unlike at the CFS, where you may use a different model (person) to wear the costume, participants must have made their own costume. All other rules regarding the costumes still apply.
  • All entries must provide pictures from the source material of the costume as a reference for the official appearance of the character they are cosplaying. This is a more strict rule compared to that of the CFS.
  • The same rules apply for weapons and props as do for the CFS.
  • Each participant will be on stage for a minimum of 1 minute and a maximum of 2.5 minutes. This does not include stage preparation time.
  • Participants must provide their own music or pre-recorded dialogue according to the CFS rules.
  • Participants of this Eurocos Preliminary can not participate in the CFS show. Although, if the CFS Show turns into a seperate event, you may participate in the CFS with a different constume unless you were a winner of the Eurocos Preliminary.
  • If the winner of the preliminaries is unable to attend the MCM Expo for any reasons, the runner up will take his/her place.

Qualifier Prize Pack
The winner of the Eurocos Preliminary Competition at Abunai! will become our representative at the MCM Expo Eurocos Finals on the 27th of October 2012. They will receive the following:
  • Return transport from the competitors point of departure (Airport, Eurostar terminal etc) in their home country to their hotel in London for one person
  • Accommodation in London for two nights stay (26/10/12 & 27/10/12)
  • Guest weekend passes to the MCM Expo for themselves and a guest
  • Access to the EuroCosplay parties and backstage rooms for themselves and a guest.
We will also try to send along someone from Abunai! to supply support, both backstage as well as outside of the competition.

• Use the same document as for the Cosplay Fashion Show. The document and more information can be found in the corresponding thread.
  • Check both the boxes for the CFS as well as the EuroCos at the bottom of the document.

Rasha
is that a lagspike in your pants or are you happy to see me ?

Last edited by Rasha; April 2nd, 2012 at 16:59:51.
Old March 26th, 2012, 21:39:12   #2
Rasha
Otaku

Default Re: [2012] eurocos

The below rules apply to the final held at the MCM Expo on the 27th of October 2012. Some may differ from the above rules for the preliminaries.

EuroCosplay Final Rules
  • Participants must be 18 or over by 26th October 2012.
  • Costumes for the EuroCosplay Championships Final in October must be from a published or broadcast source which has been commercially licensed. They may not be original designs created by or for the cosplayer or based on derivative works not endorsed by the copyright holders.
  • Finalists do not have to wear the costume that they qualified in for the EuroCosplay Final; it is possible to qualify in a costume which is not eligible for the EuroCosplay Final.
  • In the event a finalist has previously participated in a EuroCosplay Final, the costume used for the EuroCosplay Final must not have been used for a previous EuroCosplay Final.
  • Participants must have made their own costume. Bought costume accessories, wigs, shoes etc may be used but it is expected that the majority of a costume will have been constructed by the competitor.
  • All entries must provide pictures from the source material of the costume as a reference for the official appearance of the character they are cosplaying. Construction or progress pictures can be supplied but are not necessary.
  • Replica weapons and props for use on stage are unrestricted, any replica should be blunt or in the case of BB guns shown to be empty. Real weapons and projectiles are banned.
  • Stage preparation should take no more than 30 seconds.
  • Each entrant will be on stage for a minimum of 1 minute and a maximum of 2 minutes. This does not include stage preparation time.
  • Each entrant is allowed one assistant. The assistant should be dressed all in black and may NOT perform in any way. The assistant may help prepare the stage, operate props or pass items to the cosplayer. EuroCosplay will provide extra assistants if required.
  • When not being judged or on stage for EuroCosplay, the MCM weapon and prop rules apply at all times. These can be found here:
    http://www.londonexpo.com/images/sto...aponsrules.pdf
  • The safety of the audience, staff, and other participants must not be compromised. To this end, pyrotechnics and fireworks or any other methods of creating or causing a naked flame or explosion are not permitted; nor anything that may make the stage slippery or sticky that cannot be quickly removed.
  • Energetic performances involving e.g. running or martial arts displays will require further assurance regarding the skills of the performers, and we reserve the right the interrupt performances for safety reasons.
  • Entrants may provide their own music or pre-recorded dialogue, and are invited to discuss any further requirements or requests at the earliest opportunity.

EuroCosplay Final Judging
  • Costume judging will take place before the stage presentation and assesses the accuracy of the costume against provided source images and the quality and complexity of the construction
  • The stage presentation will be assessed by the judges considering stage presence, nature of the presentation, the ability to take on the role of the character, and level of entertainment or engagement
Judging for the Final in October will be weighted as follows:

Accuracy 40%
Construction 40%
Performance 20%

The judges decisions are final, and no further negotiation will be entered into when the judges have made their decisions.

Rasha
Old April 2nd, 2012, 17:00:09   #3
Rasha
Otaku

Default Re: EuroCos Preliminaries rules [SIGN-UPS ARE OPEN!]

Sign-ups opened

Rasha
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:56:18   #4
Noor
Otaku

Default Re: EuroCos Preliminaries rules [SIGN-UPS ARE OPEN]

Hi,

I was wondering. One of the rules of the eurocos is that you must provide pictures from the source material.

But i mainly made my costume on the base of an original pvc model. This is because it shows the costume in more detail then in the tv series.

Can i send some pic's of the model as well as reference material besides the pic's from the original serie's?
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:22:39   #5
Rasha
Otaku

the point of the pictures is for the judges and audience to see if you made the outfit just like how it was used in the series/games/books...so pictures of the same character in an other outfit kind of miss the point then.

Rasha
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:22:55   #6
ChikoxChan

So.. I was wondering.. Can you show a videoclip as part of your 'performance'? I don't have something concrete yet but the clip will be used to show the reference pictures but also make the act a little more special than just walking around..

Yay yay for anime!
Old July 25th, 2012, 14:45:50   #7
meeltjuh

I was also wondering whether the screen will be used only to show the reference picture or if it can be used as a background with your performance
Animecon 08 Axel, Kingdom Hearts
Mangafique 08 Konan, Naruto
Chibicon 07 Uchiha Itachi, Naruto
Old July 25th, 2012, 16:01:05   #8
Rasha
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikoxChan View Post
So.. I was wondering.. Can you show a videoclip as part of your 'performance'? I don't have something concrete yet but the clip will be used to show the reference pictures but also make the act a little more special than just walking around..
Unfortunately no, this is not possible in London either so we decided not to do it at Abunai.
Next to that, having a video in the background will distract people from your costume and you don't want that.

Rasha
Old July 25th, 2012, 21:02:44   #9
ChikoxChan

Default Re: EuroCos Preliminaries rules [SIGN-UPS ARE FULL]

Ah I see, thanks for the quick reply. (And I was keeping the distraction factor in mind, with the little idea I had now it wouldn't have been a concern ;3). So then I'd like to know the answer to the question Meeltjuh asked, 'cause I'd have asked the same .

Edit: And another question, how about 'decor pieces'? Ofc nothing outrageous because the set up time is 0.5 minutes. But is it allowed or should the stage just be left blank..?

Yay yay for anime!

Last edited by ChikoxChan; July 25th, 2012 at 21:23:14.
Old July 25th, 2012, 23:02:23   #10
Rasha
Otaku

Default Re: EuroCos Preliminaries rules [SIGN-UPS ARE FULL]

small decor items will be allowed but you need to state them in your signup. If you already signed up then please mail us information on the items that you want to use.

as for meeltjuh's question, no the screen is for pictures of the cosplay only...the same reason as with the movie.
From what I understand, the mcm eurocos in london hardly uses the screens at all, so it might not be the best idea to focus to much on it. We use the screen purely to make the show look a little nicer.

Rasha