Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2014

Old July 23rd, 2015, 13:13:04   #31
ChronoDensetsu
Otaku

Default Re: Abunai! 2015 AMV Competition Rules + FAQ + Sign Up Info [Sign ups are open!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJGarfield View Post
I've submitted my AMV last tuesday night and I was wondering if you received it yet

Mine is the AMV with Buso Renkin on the song "Hooked on a Feeling"
I did, you should've received a confirmation just now.

Last edited by ChronoDensetsu; July 25th, 2015 at 21:23:51.
Old July 25th, 2015, 14:16:53   #32
Anowil

Default Re: Abunai! 2015 AMV Competition Rules + FAQ + Sign Up Info [Sign ups are open!]

Hey guys,

First off all good luck with the AMV competition, curious to see what's going to be shown! I'm not participating this year because I'm to busy with work to make an AMV #sadface

I quickly glanced at the recent posts and noticed some bitrate/filesize concerns.
There is a very simple method of getting a small file size, and a great compression if you just add one more step. Instead of for example using After Effects to do the compressing, we're using a different program that can do this much better. I'll briefly explain it, maybe some of you can still make use of it before the deadline.

I'm going to use After Effects as the example program, but this method works with any decent editing software.

Step one
We're going to render out a video with next to no (noticable) compression. For this we're going to be using Quicktime, so make sure you have it installed.
Inside AE's render queue, press the Lossless option and in the Format menu select QuickTime. Next, go into the Format Options menu and select Photo - JPEG from the Video Codec menu. 95% of the time a quality of 90 is more than enough, I always select between 90-100 quality. Remember to check the Audio Output option if you're using audio.

Select your desired Output path and hit render. This will create a large filesize with barely any compression on it, but we're going to fix that now.

Step two
We're going to compress the raw video we just exported from AE. There are plenty compressing program's out there such as Adobe Media Encoder, Freemake Video Converter, HandBrake etc. I really like how HandBrake compresses it's video (available for windows, apple and linux) so I'll be using this program for the example, but again you can use any compressing software.

Open HandBrake and load your file (Source > File). Select the desired output path in the Destination tab, and select MP4 for our container. In most cases simply selecting the High Profile preset in the preset menu is good enough, because our original video file is an uncompressed file. Make sure H.264 is selected as the Video Codec in the Video menu, and the quality is set to a Constant Quality of 20. In the Audio menu match your Bitrate to your source audio file. If you're uncertain, a bitrate of 160 is usually good enough. The default Dolby Pro Logic II mixdown is good as is. When you're all set hit the Start button and voila, you just compressed your video the propper way.

The reason why we are not directly compressing from After Effects is because After Effects cannot compress properly. In it's simplest form, a compression looks at what is behind, and in front of the frame it is currently compressing. After Effects can only look behind, so it keeps a lot of unneeded data which results in a large file size. With propper tweaking a file that for example AE renders out as a 300MB H.264 MP4 can easily be reduced to a 50MB file WITHOUT losing quality.

TL;DR (recommended that you read the explanation)
Render out your video in an "uncompressed" video format (QuickTime > Photo JPEG format 90-100 quality), and compress the file you just rendered into a MP4 with H.264 as it's codec via HandBrake. Similair quality if not better, smaller file size.

I hope this information is usefull to those struggling to get a decent file size/quality ratio.
Once again, good luck with the competition, and see you at Abunai~

Last edited by Anowil; July 25th, 2015 at 14:19:10.
Old July 25th, 2015, 21:26:05   #33
ChronoDensetsu
Otaku

Nice tutorial, I'm sure it will be useful for people finishing up the last loose ends and in the following years. I will add it to the tutorials in the OP, if you don't mind.
Old July 26th, 2015, 12:24:16   #34
Anowil

Yea sure, feel free to use it wherever you see fit.
Old July 26th, 2015, 19:45:09   #35
NotReallyHere
Otaku

Just send my entry. Good luck to everyone and see you all there!
Old July 26th, 2015, 22:36:22   #36
ChronoDensetsu
Otaku

A little over two hours left! I've received a lot of signups today, thanks for that, but I probably won't be able to process them all today. If you don't receive a confirmation before the deadline, don't panic, I will try to address everyone tomorrow.

For those still working on the last details, best of luck!
Old July 30th, 2015, 23:40:01   #37
TalalayMar

Default Re: Abunai! 2015 AMV Competition Rules + FAQ + Sign Up Info [Sign ups are closed!]

Im not familiar with Abunai's way of doing amv's, in what timeframe can we expect a confirmation whether it's gonna be shown or not?
Old July 31st, 2015, 12:05:14   #38
NotReallyHere
Otaku

Default Re: Abunai! 2015 AMV Competition Rules + FAQ + Sign Up Info [Sign ups are closed!]

Based on previous years it's most likely known in the last week before the convention, might even be the day before.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 17:58:12   #39
TalalayMar

Aaah thank you, that's good to know
Old August 4th, 2015, 19:40:34   #40
redshadow266
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to redshadow266

i tried to enter but i moved in the meantime
so due to lack of wifi at time of deadline i missed out

but heres my supposed entry this year good luck everyone and please enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJgArrPQ3Qo