Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2005

Old June 21st, 2005, 18:08:05   #1
kageki
Otaku

Default the workshops at abunai 2005

Currently there are four circles who have been invited to participate at abunai and also do a workshop. We first planned in three workshops, so now we have a couple of options
- put 4 workshops in the morning and noon, giving only half an hour inbetween workshops (it is currently an hour)
- put 4 workshops in the morning and noon with an hour inbetween workshops, making the first workshop being held exactly during breakfast...
- have one workshop in the evening (maybe with an extra ecchi topic? I dunno ^^')
- have one workshop on another day (probably friday)

Personally I think the first and third option are the most 'friendly', but of course it all depends on what you want, since you will be doing these workshops ^^

So what do we want to know:
- about what topic would the workshop of your circle preferably be?
- would you mind having your workshop at friday or saturday evening?
- do you think we really need an hour inbetween workshops?
Old June 29th, 2005, 22:41:36   #2
andre

Default Re: the workshops at abunai 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by kageki
So what do we want to know:
- about what topic would the workshop of your circle preferably be?
- would you mind having your workshop at friday or saturday evening?
- do you think we really need an hour inbetween workshops?
We want to show how the two of us create colored illustrations. This from scratch and with the aid of video projection.
Creating the illustrations beforehand, editing it in handy chunk-size videos.
We show a video (from DVD) and after that it is finished we comment on it (also by means of live drawing) and give the audience an opportunity to ask questions before we continue to the next phase.

So we tackle not only 'tricks' involved with coloring analog/digital, but also the drawing of mecha and fantasy subjects from two different points of view.
But then again, it's just an idea right now and it depends on some technical support as well.

As for the time question:
The time will depend on what you call evening
One thing is for sure: half an hour inbetween workshops is to little.
There is a very big chance that people will 'drop out' of a workshop if the amount of information given is to great or the length of the workshop is to long.
Just a half hour inbetween workshops and one after the other, will likely result in some workshops given for just a handfull while others are more or less overcrowded. (the famous attention span).

How do-able is it to organize not one but two in the evening?
Or: When is the location used for the workshops and when for, say, dinner?
(workshops while people are eating in the same place is like entertaining people in a restaurant.)

Because, with the location used as a:
-bar/lounge area (with people drinking, laughing and playing)
-doujinshi selling point (not sure right now)
-eating area (for dinner, lunch and breakfast)
-workshop stage
-passage to other parts of the confention (and if the smokers area is on the same place as last year: windy at times )

it's likely to be very noise and chaotic already. Having more or less one giant workshop will work against us (in terms of attendance and shown interest)

And while I'm at it ^_^

At the moment there are four circles, but when also circles from abroad show up. The timetables must be streched well into the evening to accomodate all.
Old June 30th, 2005, 16:03:40   #3
Cannibal Cat

We can't confirm yet that we will actually give a workshop, it would take a lot of time to prepare one, and currently we don't have enough time on hands to do that.

I'll let you guys know if we are gonna do a workshop.
Old June 30th, 2005, 21:53:51   #4
Naisunev
Otaku

Default location.

Hi Andre, and welcome at the forum.

I'll try and explain a little about the location for the DDD.
First it was located inside the local student restaurant which is normally closed during the weekend. Unfortunately it will also be closed to us during the weekend, so we can't use the space.

This is why we've currently planned the DDD on the third floor instead of on the second floor. There is more natural light in this area and is right next to all the meeting rooms of the building.

There are about 4 meeting rooms for 20 people right next to eachother with two area's with couches chairs and tables right next to them.

No problems with people having dinner in the same location.The only bad thing about it is the fact that its on the 3rd floor.

The good thing is that is has easy access to all five of the meeting rooms. This means there could be five workshops at the same time. (not that we'd want this though) The workshops can also be planned during the entire day or evening.

For the video projection i guess you'll need a beamer + screen? (you'll bring the computer equipment yourselves? or will you just use a dvd player?)
Btw, whiteboards are included in these rooms.

The doujinshi selling point can be either:
- in the DDD area. (no extra selling staff required)
- right outside the dealer room
- inside the dealer room
Old July 1st, 2005, 17:25:32   #5
kageki
Otaku

Default Re: the workshops at abunai 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre
As for the time question:
The time will depend on what you call evening
One thing is for sure: half an hour inbetween workshops is to little.
There is a very big chance that people will 'drop out' of a workshop if the amount of information given is to great or the length of the workshop is to long.
Just a half hour inbetween workshops and one after the other, will likely result in some workshops given for just a handfull while others are more or less overcrowded. (the famous attention span).

How do-able is it to organize not one but two in the evening?
Or: When is the location used for the workshops and when for, say, dinner?
(workshops while people are eating in the same place is like entertaining people in a restaurant.)
attention span, didn't think of that ^^' well, with just one workshop in the evening I can already give you one hour possible extra time. That should be enough, right?

with evening I mean, after convention dinner ^^
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:22:54   #6
Hino Ai

I would like to do a workshop about lineart and erhm I would like to do a workshop of using Photoshop to color... I even want to blend these two a bit... I think I am going to make a website so that people can still check it afther the convention... I will burn it on a cd ofcourse to show

Andre what exactly are you going to explain on coloring? Photoshop as wel or aquarel?
Old July 10th, 2005, 18:13:30   #7
andre

@Hino: He! We are already doing that! Get your own workshop XD

Alle gekheid op een stokje (don't know the English version ^_^; )

We are showing the difference between coloring in Aquarel and Photoshop ^_^ (analog <->digital coloring)
Being da brush man, I wil do the aquarel en Claire the photoshop thingy.
There also will be a drawing of mecha live and on stage for the visitors to enjoy (so we can give feedback on this not so much dealth with proces as it takes places) So the focus for that part will be on the 'technical' mecha drawing techniques.
(The coloring part will be in the form of a fantasy theme to have some difference there.)

We are already filming our workshop video-part and because I think that two workshops on coloring is a little too much; it's a better idea you expand on your linework workshop in the form of, say, screentoning (with or without the aid of photoshop). We will cover a broader range of manga-techniques that way.

----------------
Having several event rooms at the location, maybe it is an idea to have more than one workshop at a given time. This means that the visitors have a choice in what they would like to see.
But this also means that each circle must give the same workshop twice during the day (so one person can visit all available workshops)

people who don't like the idea of performing for a total of 2 hours (not as a block but over the course of the day), maybe we can cut the time in half (30 minutes for each workshop). Must people tend to fall asleep after 20 minutes of 'brainwashing' ^^
Old July 11th, 2005, 00:11:24   #8
nat-chan

hi, this Nat-chan from CheeseCake!

I just wanna say that I am interested in doing a workshop about making illustration completely done in grayscale (pencil). It that idea already been taken? Or drawing bishies and bishoujos...

there is one problem and that is ... how do you display that in a room full of ppl?
I have never gave a workshop before and dont know how everything will be organized. (bovendien heb ik ontzettende last van plankenkoorts).
Old July 11th, 2005, 17:17:57   #9
andre

Hi nat-chan! ^_^

You are dealing with the same problem us we did: how to show what you're doing to an audience?
We choose to work with video, because we can project that on a screen (instead of having all people gather around a smaal piece of paper ^_^; )

Something similair is maybe the best option for pencil tech as well. You can also use charcoal as a substitute for pencil (you can show that in a bigger flip-over style)
Old July 12th, 2005, 19:19:56   #10
Hino Ai

Hey andre aaargh damnit ok :P
Erhmm.... Ok I'll do a more specific workshop about linearts .. To do it by hand and adjust it with photoshop.. And what the effect will be when it gets a different color instead of black all the time...

Is that okay Andre hunneh? !

Ohw Nathalie maybe you can do something with screentones as well? A lot of people are really curious about that part....

Btw I am not stage frightened at all(as you might have seen on AnimeCon2004 :P) So Nathalie maybe we can do it together or I'll help you as a goeroe :P or assistent lol!! *thinks of Hans Klok*