Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2005

Old September 12th, 2005, 02:43:48   #11
Solar
Otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to Solar

Yeah, that anime survival is not very survivable!

But the "Name that tune" competition is a a real 'stayer' and I hope to set that one up bigger and better. I never imagined the competition to go so fast :O

And our makeshift buzzers worked, yay! ..though the sound was a bit too soft.
Old September 12th, 2005, 09:38:11   #12
Kagemaru
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Kagemaru

Cosplay Compo: (before my act) *shake shiver* Is going to allright? Will somebody know the song? I hope I won't fall! (after act) *faints* It went good...thank goodness...
Though I haven't seen any other act (because it was too crowded to go back into the room), I'd like to commend EACH and EVERY cosplayer participating! Whether you were totally confident and really knew your act well or you were totally unsure and haven't rehearsed enough: You did it and the crowd was there, applauding for you! Good job everyone!

Too bad the Cosplay Musical didn't work out. Heck, there's always a next time!

Karaoke: Singing your favorite anime tunes (Super Drive!!! <3<3<3) with all the people from the crowd also singing along, now what's more fun than that?! Yeah, I got a voice that's not meant to be used for singing, so what?! XD

AMV Compo: I was really glad that Suzuka AMV won! I LOVE Suzuka! (the anime that is X3) Other AMVs were really nice also (I saw that R.O.D. AMV before Abunai, I said it was going to win something, it did! XD)
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:45:26   #13
Pleasebleed

Default .Rant.

I am of the opinion that #1 on the AMVCompo is a Suckie Movie it was and is a Cheap way to make a AMV and a Sloppy one. In my opinion it wasnt only sloppy but didnt have any big value in it i mean comeon... a girl that jumps a stick?

when did a video sink so low that it didnt even have a climax... oke so the lyrics matched the video a little like that but isnt that the easy'st way of editing? you create a story by listening to a story told... also it falls directly along the anime wich i have seen, therefor it dosnt prove to be skilled nor thought out. I mean no offence for the creator but I think the judges were totaly off with the judging seeing as they put technical/quality/climax video's aside for a sloppy edited video i could posible make in like 20 to 30 mins...

Personaly I Would Like The list To go like ..
  • 1# Memorie's (R.O.D TV)
    2# Xanthium (GITS2)
    3# The Matropolis Video i dont remember the title off...

I'm in the AMV scene for like 4 years and think that this is the most ugly step the judges could take ... The reaction of the crowd must have atleast shaken the judges a little cause non of the people i have talked to agree with them all the top 2 and 3's i have heard from people all consist off the video's i named only in a differant order depending on the taste of people...

hope you guys arent afread to tell me what Ya'll think... Next year...youll get owned...

next year i hope you guys will be fair and judge the AMV's at Quality and not by there Quantity

Ty for reading my post, ofcourse im openn for opinions... but not to much about other events ... BB
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:28:02   #14
Lord Stone
Board
A! Staff

The problem with judging a compo is that you can never do it right, especially not when the competition is as good as in this one. One person I spoke to would have preferred the Metropolis AMV become number one, and one of the other judges thought Memories wasn't all that great at all. I even heard someone saying not even one of them was all that special, and that Great Jumper Suzuka was the only one that stood out a little bit at all.

A different jury, would probably have resulted in a different result. We didn't want personaly taste to account for much, but it is impossible to eliminate personal taste. We already noticed this in the different jury members' opinions, they varied a lot I can tell you. Some think atmosphere is the most important factor, some think an AMV without touch-points is a sucky one by default. Yet another will say that technique is everything, and the only thing that counts. I can tell you that each of the jury members has been watching a hell of a lot of AMVs for at least 4 years (some longer) too, and are very well aware of what's around.

Though next time I do this, I am thinking of having a jury's favorite and a crowd's favorite instead of a 1st and 2nd place. Of course, I'd have to see what happens if the jury's favorite and crowd's favorite are the same AMV...

Something that is going to change for sure though, is the player. Damn, the quality sucked, and trust us that the encoding nor the skill of the AMVs creators was not the problem there. Next time we're playing it on a laptop.

Considering I got no less than 7 AMVs for the compo, even though it was only announced on such short term... I am definately going to organize this again next year... I hope that you all like to participate again!
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:44:51   #15
Chibs
Otaku

I agree though, judging should be a lot better...
that last part, about "Which one sticked the longest"
is a really really stupid factor, there's a huge chance you
forgot the first one you saw, and the last one will stick to you better.
That's just like that, so its hard to take that asn one of the important
factors in judging
also, I'm kinda mad about the end of my FMA Amv, the black silence part that was just cut off, was supposed to be there... -_-'' also, you said it had no filters or what so ever, though I have at least 2 at every clip, going on to 4 on some clips....
Memories was a really good AMV, some might think that a lot of the pieces are just cut out of the anime, but most of them are actually 'made'...
also, the compression was just really bad.
next time, test the DVD on a BIG SCREEN, and dont try it at your own home, those things are different, the same misstake was made at Animecon, and I thought you would be smarter not to make the same mistake...
still was an ok comp though, but next time, better encoding, and a better jury that is at least a little bet pro...
(next time, talk dutch, there was like no one english there, and not to be rude, but your english wasn't the greatest...)
also, of course you can't make 'touch' points with the lyrics when you choose a japanese song, so "AMV without touch points is sucky" is one of the most stupid statements... also, you toke the factor "Does the song fit the anime", though a lot of popular AMV's are the ones that do the exact opposite...
Old September 12th, 2005, 13:46:15   #16
Lord Stone
Board
A! Staff

Keep in mind that the "An AMV without touch point is a sucky one" is not one of my own opinions, but one I've heard in the past (and I didn't say it was one of the other jury members' opinion either). If it were me alone, I think Memories would have won... however, there was only 1 AMV that the entire jury liked, and that is why the order was differently. The different jury members are very different in their personal opinions on AMVs, and so we tried to create a wide scope of view.

I am terribly sorry about he FMA AMV being cut off like that... something went wrong somewhere there. I recalled someone telling me his AMV was longer than it should be with black behind it... things eventually got so hectic with the deadlines and me getting very busy with getting the convention organized, I must have mixed up who that was because yours was the only AMV with a lot of black behind it. We will make sure to put it back on in the version online. Personally I thought it was a great AMV.

Next time I am starting earlier with the organisation of the AMV compo, and the rules will be a little bit more extensive... one thing I will need next time is an additional file with anime name, music name, duration etc... in which you can also put comments on the encoding etc. That way I will try to make sure nothing messes up again next time. I am taking all your comments very serious, and I hope you are willing to compete again next year knowing this.

As for testing on the big screen... unfortunately this is hardly possible... we do not have free access to those rooms, they cost a lot of money... and we don't exactly have them lying around either. But if it hadn't been for the crappy DVD player, which I agree should have been tested extensively in advance, I think it would have been a lot better.

I am sorry about my english though... it is usually somewhat better (or so I'm told), it must be the tension of presenting something like this on-stage. I probably should have asked if there were any english people present yes...

In order to avoid off-topicness by talking about AMVs alone: AMV compo feedback Please come here with your feedback on the AMV compo, it means a lot to me.
Old September 12th, 2005, 14:49:12   #17
Meowzy
Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Meowzy Send a message via MSN to Meowzy

okay, the events. hmm...
well, first of all i noticed that pretty much every event started late. whether it was 15 minutes or 30 minutes, it was always late.

that fandub on friday... ugh... first we had to wait for the computer, and when it finally got there, there was no mic! also, the scenes to chose from were... not that diverse. there shouldve been like... 5

Jan ken po was a lot of fun though. i lasted for about... 3 rounds.

that whole cosplay rehearsal was just one big mess, because we had to wait... again... and the staff lost my cd's or something similar. they were found, luckily. the rehearsing itself (which started after 2 hours of procrastination) was fun though. I nearly wet myself when i heard we were the first act. ^^'
but why did nobody tell us we had to go back on stage again after the act was over? none of the other cosplayers knew that either. i was just regaining from the act backstage, when we were forced to go back on stage again and answer questions. we were totally unprepared! ^^'
other than that the cosplay competition was a blast. it was lots of fun. ^_^
the fashion show too btw.

uhm... any other events i participated in? no, i dont think so. oh! one more thing though.
i went to the theatercafe on saturday, and i asked the guy behind the bar for pocky. and he was all
"What's pocky?"
even though it was on the menu, he had no idea what it was! i had to spell it, and point it out and stuff like that. ^^'
also, when i asked for lemonade on sunday, the guy (i think it was the same guy, but i'm not sure) said "We don't serve lemonade. But we do have Fanta." and he took out a bottle of Sisi! O_o
is it like, a north holland thing to name all lemonades Fanta? even when it's Sisi?

so in conclusion, the events itself were fun! i loved them all. but, the organisation... needed work.
Old September 12th, 2005, 14:58:15   #18
Taka

XD I ordered Cola, I got Pepsi, I ordered Cola again, I got Cola Light!

I loved this con, although the times when a event begins was really messed up. We waited very long for the noodles contest, decided to go the Dealer Room instead and when we were in the front of the long row, there was the anouncement about the noodles contest beginning in 5 minutes ^_^; Almost every event was delayed, though I don't really mind that. The events itself were great!! Loved the cosplay compo (and of course the AMV, which I suprisingly won) and the DDRs competitors were amazingly good!

The food. We paid, I don't know, 8 euros for one day? I didn't really like the food, we had to wait forever and ... well, it was just too expensive. Give me 5 cup noodles instead!

But I really had a great time. Keep up the good work and see you guys next year!
Old September 12th, 2005, 15:06:06   #19
Baramba

Send a message via MSN to Baramba

The Events were great. Now I know that Mah Jong isn't a game that you play alone. The cosplay workshop was instructive. Now I know how to make a headband. I hope a year is enough to learn the rest, so I can cosplay in 2006. I learned a lot from Traveling to Japan. And I had great fun at the martial arts workshop.

By the way, was the quota of 1000 paper cranes met? I made several and even thaught a few people how to fold them.
Old September 12th, 2005, 17:13:36   #20
Chibs
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stone
I am sorry about my english though... it is usually somewhat better (or so I'm told), it must be the tension of presenting something like this on-stage. I probably should have asked if there were any english people present yes...
No problem, I completely understand... (I'm not that terrible at english, but when I'm worried or something like standing on stage, or in front of a class, my english is.... dutch XD )