Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2005

Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:22:59   #1
jurjen

Default Website for publicity

Hello All,

I have some remarks about the internet publicity of abunai.

The website is not very useful for attracting new public an thus new people towards abunai. This forum is by far the best source of information what abunai is all about but people active on a forum have already made a step towards the inner crowd. This is a great service towards the people that have been there already or are already planning on coming on the next abunai convertion.

The rest of the website is more build towards information about the staff and the registration, the web comic is a nice diversion of this trend but is not enough.

There should be more content about the program of abunai. Some short articles with photo's whould help readers a lot:
- something about the fasion show with some (about 4) pictures
- longer article about cossplay competition with links to the actual films
- the J-pop rave event and karaoke
- add photo's to the interviews
- next abunai publish new interviews 5 weeks before the con...
it is much work but it is great to get more attention
- show selected photo albums but add series names to the different
filenames so google-photo searches of a series list the abunai website

Make a front page with small photo's of the events that are links to the different articles.

Add as much relevant content to this. Short articles with photo's really attract a lot of visitors to the site:
- reviews of anime series/films
- reviews of web comics
- reviews of manga series
- reviews of j-pop bands

Everything with an added pictures to it with relevant picture names.

This way everybody interested in our hobby around the world will someday visit the abunai website and probably visit our convention when she/he has the chance.

Urge the incrowd of abunai to write or improve current articles with possible a forum section with threads about the different parts of the webpage.
There is a huge potential in our current visitors. Lots of talented people in writing, drawing and silliness.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:45:55   #2
Saniiro-San
Otaku

I totally agree, great idea!

though placing the video's online isn't something for a longer period since they eat bandwidth (think that is also why they are actually still online but not linked to)

it would be a far better promotion...

I think the website needs a big overhaul for next year :-P
Old September 23rd, 2005, 15:46:06   #3
jurjen

Default Use of Bittorrent

You can upload the cosplay in one file with the use of Bittorrent with a limited upload bandwith. So the other bandwith can be used for other things and anybody willing to see it can download and can probably help others to get it also.

I could help with the upload for weeks if the film is worth it.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 16:22:16   #4
Saniiro-San
Otaku

the same system is used by ddrnl for the songpacks... it does work :-]

I personally never use torrents though
Old September 24th, 2005, 12:54:55   #5
kageki
Otaku

I totally agree that the website can be improved a lot, but I don't think we should take the step towards reviews, apart from small articles on events and video that will be at abunai itself.
There are already many community sites focusing on those subjects, and there is already more information that needs to be available here than can be easily structured. No need to make it even more of a mess ^_~
Old September 25th, 2005, 15:29:58   #6
jurjen

There are 2 important promotional aspects of the site.
1 - To give visitors high quality information about the abunai convention. This is to urge them to come even if they are at first only interested in a workshop or in karaoke/disco for example.

2 - To generate more hits to the site... this is always tricky because people won't search directly on the term 'abunai' but on japanese popular culture terms (like anime/manga/jpop names). To hold a review contest is one possible way (not the only) to generate more hits and even provide people with relevant information in these hits. I really don't like to have those names on the site without relevant information.
Another way is to ask people to provide abunai banners on their own web pages. That is already possible but perhaps there should be some (simple/inmaterial) reward for them to increase this promotional activity. But direct hits are by far more effective to get online people's attention towards abunai.
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:40:07   #7
Saniiro-San
Otaku

placing banners on websites shouldn't be something that has to be rewarded. people who like to do it just put them online.

only by placing the right meta tags in the header (which aren't even present now but will be in the new site) you improve the chance people will find the website through any search engine...

I agree with kageki in this that you shouldn't stray from 'abunai' as a main theme for the website. you shouldn't try to convert the convention website into a community...

you _might_ be able to use the stichting website for that, but not the con website... that should at all times be focussed on the con.
Old September 28th, 2005, 18:00:20   #8
Yanosuke

Send a message via MSN to Yanosuke

I agree with all of you.
the idea of Jurjen with the pictures is a nice idea.
Making an extra page which can explain what a workshop/karaoke/etc is, put some pictures of this year with it and the site will be a bit more attractive.

About the anime reviews and the idea of not making this a community site, i must also agree. But then again, how about making reviews of the last con and show it aspects on the site. Because personnaly i think the con website has few eyecandies.
an era of full prosper,
sword carriers do!
-Richard Vrolijk
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:00:40   #9
kageki
Otaku

Well, that'd be great of course. Just write a review on something that was at Abunai 2005 and we'll put it on the site ^^/
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:23:20   #10
Yanosuke

Send a message via MSN to Yanosuke

hmmm, *uhm* hmm *choke choke*.....
I didn't mean myself ^^. All i can write a review about is about the gopherstations i had ^^. Anyway, i can always try ofcourse.
an era of full prosper,
sword carriers do!
-Richard Vrolijk