Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2010

Old November 21st, 2009, 21:38:56   #1
Shayral

Send a message via MSN to Shayral Send a message via Skype™ to Shayral
Smile OC Cosplay Contest 2010?

Something I've noticed among basically, nearly everyone who draws, is that they have OCs. Original Characters. At Abunai I noticed this was no different. Might it be an idea to host an Original Character Cosplay Contest in 2010? Could be a very, very fun concept. I mean think of the different things you'd see!

Just a small idea I had. I thought it'd be a cool idea.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:25:43   #2
Saniiro-San
Otaku

Default Re: OC Cosplay Contest 2010?

we always applaud people coming up with nice ideas :-]

we'll put yours in the pot of ideas and see what we can do.

if you feel like working out the idea and creating a bigger concept, you can mail this to us. with that plan we can more easily see if it's feasible for us to hold.

Last edited by Saniiro-San; November 22nd, 2009 at 12:29:04.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 17:00:11   #3
Shayral

Will do! Gimme a couple of hours to concept how this could work. Are there things I should keep track of already? Certain limitations?
Old November 22nd, 2009, 18:06:58   #4
Saniiro-San
Otaku

nope, go wild! think of what the event would be like in your eyes, and we can see what is possible and what not :-]

things to concider:
* what type of room would it require
* what kind of materials would it require (sound/video equipment etc)
* how many people should be able to participate
* how many people should be able to attend as a viewer at the event
* how would the sign-ups go
* how should the event itself look like (e.g.: is it a one time compo, a run-in events of just taking pictures, cosplay fashion show look-a-like, panel about who the people represent and their story,etc)
* how will it be presented
* how will it be judged

many of these (but not limited to) are things from the top of my head which you need to look into when making an event of any type.

send your concept to us via the email form on the website (choosing 'question about events') or just send us an initial email through the contact form and we'll take it from there.

Last edited by Saniiro-San; November 22nd, 2009 at 18:10:05.
Old November 25th, 2009, 21:17:35   #5
Shayral

Sent a message, containing a link to the word document with all the info and a bit more. And simplified schematic drawings, yay!
Old December 8th, 2009, 21:54:19   #6
Saniiro-San
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayral View Post
Yeah I've made a thread already and it apparently got shifted into Programme (Is that a good sign? Thanks anyway!), but I'd like to post a short one here, to make sure people know about it. And to see if there's enough animo/desire for it, in any case.

The idea is an Original Character Cosplay Competition. Basically like the Cosplay Acts but with a competitive swirl.
The idea is that you can take your own designs for characters, be it from a book you wrote, a fancharacter to your fave anime, a drawing you did years ago, your fursona... It can be anything! As long as you provide the backstory and source material for his/her/it's description, such as the original story you wrote it in, a few drawings of the character, you can enter!

Personally I thought it'd be great, and asking around with people I met at Abunai 2009, there was certainly some interest.

See this as even more reason to flaunt with an original cosplay, because it's all fair if they accept the competition!

Sooo... What do people think about it?
copy from the other thread
Old January 2nd, 2010, 15:16:04   #7
TMar
Otaku

This could be really fun! I have a LARP-character which is quite original and it includes a background of herself, her family and the world she comes from. Some years ago, I got some inspiration to combine samuraiculture, high elf culture, even a few aspects from drow elf culture and some things I was preoccupied with at the time. The spark of that was a new piece of music we have performed a couple of years back that totally shaped the atmosphere of the world she comes from. I am sort of working on a book about it and if it ever would be turned into a movie, that music will have to become part of the soundtrack. It totally inspires the way these warrior people go to battle and it's totally awesome!
Old May 10th, 2010, 20:54:07   #8
Shayral

So at Tsuna I noticed that you did infact, use my idea (So awesome! YAY! And with a little modification it now fits the theme perfectly!) for an OC compo.

Soooooo.

How's that coming along, if I may ask?
Old May 11th, 2010, 21:01:05   #9
Devil

Just for curiosity, would this be about how worked out the character is or how pretty the design? Because I've got a bit of a 'bullshit' OC (made for shits and giggles), but her design isn't at all difficult. Not that I'd be able to wear it by then...
Old May 18th, 2010, 13:49:07   #10
Qianna

It's quite an interesting idea... But except for fan-characters, wouldn't other original characters belong at a fantasy fair? If they're not anime or Japan related, it's quite strange to see them walk around at an anime convention like Abunai... Just like it's strange to see anime characters walk around on fantasy fairs.. XD Manga is just a style of drawing, so if you'd draw the same character in a realistic manner, would it still be related to Japan or anime? It should be a requirement I think...

Just my opinion, but if it would be only for fan characters, I applaud your idea! Awesome!!!

~*v----------------------------------------------------------------------v*~
Everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright. It's not the end.

Part of Ambaran Artgroup.