Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2010

Old June 16th, 2010, 17:17:13   #1
Saniiro-San
Otaku

Arrow AMV Compo Rules + FAQ + Q&A (Sign-ups Closed)

These are the rules & FAQ, the signups have been opened!

AMV Competition

Time left till deadline...

Last edited by Saniiro-San; July 27th, 2010 at 08:42:59.
Old June 16th, 2010, 17:17:26   #2
Saniiro-San
Otaku

Default Re: AMV (Anime Music Video) Competition Rules + FAQ + Q&A

FAQ

Q: What is an AMV?
A: It's an Anime Music Video. Create your own music video for a chosen song using Anime, Manga stills, (fan)art, game footage or anything else Japan related, but keep in mind that AMV's are focussed on "anime" and "music". The video material has to be Japan related in some form. The music can be of any source (Japanese or not).

Q: Can I enter this competition without being a visitor of the convention? what if I only visit one day?
A: No, you have to be a visitor (or dealer, or guest, or gopher) of our convention, even if it's only for one day, to be able to participate in this competition.

Q: Can I send in an AMV I used in another AMV contest?
A: No, your video has to be an original video which had no prior screening yet (this ofcourse does not count close friends/family for feedback purposes, but applies to any public showing or other (online) compo's). (To enforce this, we uphold the right to share your AMV and signup information with other organisations we have an agreement with, also to support them in the enforcing of this rule for their own competitions)

Q: Can I enter with multiple AMV's?
A: No, you may only enter with one AMV.

Q: How long may the AMV be?
A: 3 minutes is the maximum for all participating AMV's

Q: What type of video codecs can I use?
A: You can use one of the following codecs: WMV, DivX, XviD, H.264, MPEG

Q: What type of container (file extention) can I use?
A: The following filetypes are accepted: WMV, AVI, MKV, MP4 or MPG. We do advice to either use AVI or MP4.

Q: What types are not accepted?
A: Other filetypes like FLV, SWF, ASF, MOV and other exotic formats

Q: What resolution should I use?
A: Make sure the resolution is always MOD16. A minimum resolution of [4:3]640x480 is required. Examples would be: [Widescreen] SD 704x400, HD 1280x720, [4:3] SD 640x480, HD 1280x1024. The FPS doesn't matter, but note that fast paced AMV's take benefit from higher FPS values.

Q: Widescreen or 4:3?
A: We don't know what the beamer will support. If it only supports 4:3 and the video is Widescreen it will get black bars added (same as 4:3 on a Widescreen beamer). We do advice to use Widescreen incase we use a 4:3 beamer, otherwise your video may be resized on the fly.

Q: What bitrate should I use for the compression?
A: Use a bitrate of at least 1000kb/s, or lossless (if within 400MB boundaries), depending how big your video becomes.

Q: Is there a maximum filesize
A: The filesize of the video may not exceed 400MB. Simply configure your encode settings properly for a 3 minute video.

Q: What can't I put in my AMV?
A: Any explicit or discriminating content (nudity, gore). Ecchi is allowed but subject to review by the judges. Remember the audience also holds minors.

Q: Can my AMV have an intro/outro?
A: Yes it can. The intro may be in the form of credits of the creator, the outro may contain greetings, best wishes, thanks, etc. Neither the intro, nor the outro, may contain other forms of credits (like music used/anime used/title of the amv/etc, we will add this ourselfs from the information supplied in the signup) and their combined length may not exceed 30secs (but do not count towards the maximum duration of the AMV). We advice that if you don't have an outro to have at the least 2-5 seconds of black screen at the end.

Q: How can I sign-up?
A: You can sign-up by supplying us (see the next question) with the following:
  • A filled in template available here: Office 2003 & OpenOffice / Office 2007 (Or check the attachements at the bottom of this post). The filename should be changed to: (nick)name_-_title_of_the_video.extention, e.g.: saniiro_-_My_First_Amv.docx
  • The AMV whose filename should look like: (nick)name_-_title_of_the_video.extention, e.g.: saniiro_-_My_First_Amv.mp4
If in any way possible please put all the files in a single archive (ZIP/RAR/7z/GZIP/Compressed Folder) and name it in the same fashion: (nick)name_-_title_of_the_video.extention, e.g.: saniiro_-_My_First_Amv.7z

Q: How should I supply the files to you?
A: If you have no hosting available of your own, any of the below options would work:Send an email using the email form on the website. The body (message) of the email will have to contain:
  • Subject: [AMV] (nick)name - title, e.g.: [AMV] saniiro - my first amv
  • Your name
  • Your Email
  • Your visitor number (or payment code if no visitor number has been received yet)
  • Download Link to the files, or archive containing the AMV and the Sign-up template
If any of the information required is missing, the sign-up will be rejected. We will notify you if your sign-up has been received.

Q: What is the deadline?
A: The deadline is 06-08-2010 @ 23:59. All sign-ups received after this will not be able to participate in the competition.

Q: Which day will the AMV Compo be and do I have to be present at the show?
A: The AMV Compo will be on sunday, and all participants are highly requested to be present at the show. You will receive more instructions after we have received your sign-up.

Q: Are there a maximum number of AMV's that can participate?
A: Yes, we have a maximum of 15-16 AMV's that are able to participate in the actual compo. If we receive more than 16 sign-ups, we will make a selection during the judging process. The lowest rated AMV's will be rejected. Sign-ups rejected during this phase will receive a mail about this, as will the sign-ups which will participate in the actual compo.

Q: I have a question which is not answered in this FAQ?
A: Ask it here, in this topic. Make sure you read the whole topic first before asking questions which might have been answered already!
Attached Files
File Type: doc abunai2010_amv_signup_template.doc (57.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: docx abunai2010_amv_signup_template.docx (45.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Saniiro-San; July 23rd, 2010 at 17:07:09.
Old June 16th, 2010, 17:17:35   #3
Saniiro-San
Otaku

Tips & Tricks

Audio Quality
Listen to your audio source on a good audio installation, and do the same with the final product of your AMV (so not just on your laptop using the laptop speakers). Make sure the audio is of good quality without distortions. AMV's with bad audio quality are highly likely to be rejected. This is because any flaws in the audio will be enhanced by the big audio installation used at the convention. This is simply the nature of such audio systems.

Black bars in the video
Unless they serve a purpose, try and make sure that after encoding, there are no black bars visible in the video. Often we see people encoding 4:3 source material as Widescreen which gives it black bars on the sides. If the source is 4:3, make sure you encode it in the same way.

Interlacing
For those of you who don't know what interlacing is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlacing
Interlacing is bad m'kay? try to make sure your encode does not use it. Especially in fast paced AMV's the effect becomes really clear and will decrease the viewing pleasure.

Resolution matching the source material
Don't encode 640x480 source as 1280x768 widescreen. Try and match the encoding resolution with the original resolution of the material used. This gives the best result.

Matching resolutions between different bits of source material
Try to match the resolutions if you have more than one source of material. Sometimes you see AMV's which mix low quality resolution sources with high quality resolution sources which gives a lower viewing pleasure. If the low quality source does not exist in another form there is nothing to be done about it, but it's always good practice to use the best possible quality source.

No subs, no divx/tv station logo's, textless opening/ending
Unless the subs serve a purpose, make sure they aren't visible (use RAW/DVD footage without subs). When using openings/endings, use the textless versions (often supplied on the original DVD release). DVIX & TV Station logo's speak for itself ;-]

Filesize
A 3 minute video of less than 50MB often has extremely decreased audio and visual quality. Keep the filesize in mind when encoding (not too small, not too big). In this thread alot of tips on how to encode are given.

Last edited by Saniiro-San; July 23rd, 2010 at 03:08:20.
Old June 16th, 2010, 21:23:12   #4
Ikarias
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Ikarias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saniiro-San View Post
FAQ

Q: What bitrate should I use for the compression?
A: Use a bitrate of at least 1000kb/s, or lossless, depending how big your video becomes.

Q: Is there a maximum filesize
A: The filesize of the video may not exceed 400MB. Simply configure your encode settings properly for 3 minutes as explained with the last question.
I am teribly sorry, but if i go lossless, it burns 1 gig a minute. How are we supposed to go lossless AND stay under 400mb? Mpeg2 goes the same. A reasonable quality Mpeg2 for 3 minutes goes way over 400mb. Care to elaborate?

- Timo 'Tamaki' van Buuren (Anime nation crew-controlling staf)
Abunai 2007 AMV - Ego
Anime08 AMV - cancelled
Abunai 2008 AMV - The longing
Abunai 2010 AMV - AMV MATERIALIZE (joined venture with Seria1337)
Anime11 EMV - The titty song (1st place)
Old June 24th, 2010, 14:11:43   #5
Power2All
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Power2All Send a message via Yahoo to Power2All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarias View Post
I am teribly sorry, but if i go lossless, it burns 1 gig a minute. How are we supposed to go lossless AND stay under 400mb? Mpeg2 goes the same. A reasonable quality Mpeg2 for 3 minutes goes way over 400mb. Care to elaborate?

Sorry, but your lossless is seriously not needed for a AMV.
It's not like you going to loose data when compressing it.
MPEG2 is old and should not even be mentioned as a usable codec, but we still allow users to use it, but caring to encode it within 400MB boundaries.

You as of all people should know, that people should push forward and use H264, since that shows better quality then MPEG2 does anyway.

And you can easly encode a reasonable good looking MPEG2 file of 3 minutes into 400MB.
Did you ever looked into the fact of DVD quality, in which they push 2 hours (or 1:30 hours) into a 4.5GB video file ?
Thats like 10 minutes to 8 minutes quality video, and you even got more space to use a higher bitrate, so I have to put aside your issue with this, since it's groundless xD

I expect, you of all people, explain that you afterwards encode the video from lossless export into a workable video format using MeGUI for instance.
MeGUI has presetted configurations for encoding, and you can use the Bitrate Calculator to calculate what bitrate you should use for the highest capable settings, still reaching within 400MB size.
Ofcourse I could put a link up with a guide how to encode using MeGUI, should not that hard.

http://adubvideo.net/videos/megui-on...r-introduction
meGUI: http://sourceforge.net/projects/megui/

Video

[Edit]
I know Lossless is still in the FAQ as option, it was suppose to be left out, but since H264 lossless encoding doesn't really make huge lossless files, we let it stay in for that reason, but MPEG2 lossless is seriously no option.
We will edit the FAQ accordingly to what I said here.

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION !
DJ @ Abunai! 2007, Abunai! 2009, Hasshin 2010, Abunai! 2010
Former Drummer of the J-rock band Slightly Spring, new band in the making

Last edited by Power2All; June 24th, 2010 at 14:34:46.
Old June 25th, 2010, 16:50:40   #6
Saniiro-San
Otaku

(offtopic tip: ALT+PRINTSCREEN only captures your active window and not the rest (taskbar & desktop), or at least otherwise cut out only the required sections)
Old June 25th, 2010, 18:29:22   #7
Ikarias
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Ikarias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power2All View Post
BLaDieBlaBla
As you know very well, i AM aware of all those things. However, i was nitpicking...

Also, to bring back an endless discussion, there is NO lossless compression. I do have to admit however that H264 within an mp4 or mkv container is a damn good substitute, IF the codec itself isnt broken.

Recent experiances at a convention regarding that subject make me seek alternatives. I doubt there are any however. Google is on top of it (VP, but not there yet....

@ Charming Ice:
Perhaps the colors used are so limited that the information within the codec has it easy. Also, limited scene changes can make a difference. And those are only examples on what a codec can do for your'e video. I am more then willing to explain on the AMVInfo day, next month.

@ Saniiro-San : Props, i didnt know that. I always crop the image.

- Timo 'Tamaki' van Buuren (Anime nation crew-controlling staf)
Abunai 2007 AMV - Ego
Anime08 AMV - cancelled
Abunai 2008 AMV - The longing
Abunai 2010 AMV - AMV MATERIALIZE (joined venture with Seria1337)
Anime11 EMV - The titty song (1st place)

Last edited by Ikarias; June 25th, 2010 at 20:18:10.
Old June 25th, 2010, 23:50:17   #8
Syaoran18
Otaku

Hey Samantha good to see you again this is Timmie Ng, The settings of the XVID codec is correctly if you want to keep it under the 500 MB change the style to Profile HDTV XVID after that keep the quantizer at 1.0.

XVID is for my opinion the best lightest codec for my opinion maybe Jasper or other ones have different taste of codec using.

FateTSC

~mod-edit~ removed the quote since it served no purpose and the pictures are really big
Chibicon 2009 AMV Fall Apart 5th place
Abunaicon 2009 AMV various Beautiful World 4th place.
Tsunacon 2010 AMV Sensitive Sky 7th Place Best OVERALL.
Yaoicon 2010 AMV 11eyes, Shakugan no Shana Flame Haze VS Demons 2nd place
Animecon 2010 AMV Clannad-on Not for Sale 5th place.
Chibicon 2010 AMV Fight for your friends 3rd place.

Last edited by Saniiro-San; June 26th, 2010 at 00:48:13. Reason: removed quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 14:08:41   #9
Power2All
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarias View Post
As you know very well, i AM aware of all those things. However, i was nitpicking...

Also, to bring back an endless discussion, there is NO lossless compression. I do have to admit however that H264 within an mp4 or mkv container is a damn good substitute, IF the codec itself isnt broken.

Recent experiances at a convention regarding that subject make me seek alternatives. I doubt there are any however. Google is on top of it (VP, but not there yet....
Sorry, whut ?
If you knew I was going into this discussion in the first place, you shouldn't have posted it anyway.
But to come back ontopic, "there is NO lossless compression", shame, there is. You just need to use the proper video codec for that: HUFFYUV, Lagarith are both lossless codecs.
And they're both workable in VfW as well.

MP4 is made to handle H264 data, so I don't know what you mean about broken codec.
MP4 and MKV are both "containers", which got the streams (H264, H263, MP3, AAC, etc...) inside itself, thats why you can "demux" and "mux" them into each other.

Anyway, to indeed to stop a endless discussion: What I said is what I said and thats that... Make up from it whatever you want

Old June 26th, 2010, 14:27:55   #10
Power2All
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran18 View Post
Hey Samantha good to see you again this is Timmie Ng, The settings of the XVID codec is correctly if you want to keep it under the 500 MB change the style to Profile HDTV XVID after that keep the quantizer at 1.0.

XVID is for my opinion the best lightest codec for my opinion maybe Jasper or other ones have different taste of codec using.

FateTSC

~mod-edit~ removed the quote since it served no purpose and the pictures are really big
We already discussed this on MSN, but XVID is not made for HD material.
Best option would be using either DivX5+ or H264 codec.

Tags
amv compo