Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2011

Old April 8th, 2011, 15:23:34   #1
Power2All
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Power2All Send a message via Yahoo to Power2All
Default Abunai! Anime Disco 2011

Hello everybody,

This post might be a little too early, and since it's still not 100% certain that I will be playing on Abunai! 2011, I am already looking to see what people would like to hear and see.

Last year some things went wrong while DJ'ing, preparation-wise ofcourse, but I want to improve my disco for this year, and thats where you as convention person comes into play.
At the moment, my playing style is still focussed on Trance, Hardcore and HardStyle, but ofcourse, a Anime convention and most of the people are not so much into this style.
Thats why, Im going to ask you for some feedback regarding, what DO you want to dance on.
What MUSIC style does make you go on the dancefloor, and I am not talking about your everyday music you listen on your iPod or something.

With this information, I can setup some nice music playlist for Abunai! 2011 Disco, and I might even be able to do requests from people on the dancefloor.
Still looking how I am able to do this, but I got my ideas ready ofcourse too

So, let me hear your voice, and I wish to make Abunai 2011 Disco a whole awesome day with you all !
Oh yah, people know me for being very defensive when it comes to negative feedback, but I'm trying to change this, besides, I need to learn too from my mistakes

Cheers !

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION !
DJ @ Abunai! 2007, Abunai! 2009, Hasshin 2010, Abunai! 2010
Former Drummer of the J-rock band Slightly Spring, new band in the making
Old April 8th, 2011, 15:32:48   #2
Noor
Otaku

Default Re: Abunai! Anime Disco 2011

Thank you for asking!!

All the trance, hardcore and hardstyle was a bit of a downer for me so I'm so glad you ask us this!!

I love basic rock!! Something like the Foo Fighters that direction. But i also like metal. I love j-rock!!

Is that something you can work with?
Old April 8th, 2011, 16:09:31   #3
Power2All
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Power2All Send a message via Yahoo to Power2All

Well, Im not much into Jrock and Metal, although when I play Dungeons and Dragons tabletop game, we often listen a lot to metal music (kinda forced to hahaha).
Dancing on rock, I don't see much people do that, unless it has a good beat to dance on.
Choosing the songs what would come close to danceable is a weak point of mine I guess.
With some help, I could try and manage to find songs which are good to dance on.

The pro thing about the styles you don't like, is anybody can jump on their favorite anime tunes, so thats why I like that style as well.

Maybe you could make a small playlist of lets say, 10 songs, and send them via private message to me, so I can listen what kinda rock music is easy to dance on.

The idea for next disco is, to have more variation to it.

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION !
DJ @ Abunai! 2007, Abunai! 2009, Hasshin 2010, Abunai! 2010
Former Drummer of the J-rock band Slightly Spring, new band in the making
Old April 8th, 2011, 17:05:07   #4
Akatsuki #1
Otaku

Rock/metal/pop etc. are rather hard to entertain a crowd with. And beside that even harder to work with as a dj.

I'd say, go fo oldschool! Not to hard, not to fast but still awesome and containing a lot of nostalgia for most of the people who visit the disco.
Old April 8th, 2011, 17:30:57   #5
Rasha
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Rasha

I disagree with you there, a good DJ can entertain the crowd with any type of music. I do agree that metal and the harder rock isnt really for the disco but POP and R&B definitly is.

Rasha
is that a lagspike in your pants or are you happy to see me ?
Old April 10th, 2011, 21:58:38   #6
BleachvsNaruto

Send a message via MSN to BleachvsNaruto Send a message via Skype™ to BleachvsNaruto

I agree with Rasha because rock, pop, r&b etc. isn't for disco.
It's not that I don't like J-pop, J-rock but It's more for Karaoke. Maybe you can mix up J-pop, J-rock with some beats/trance. I'll help you and send 10 songs and one question : on wich day is the disco?
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:18:31   #7
Shookiemonster

Send a message via MSN to Shookiemonster

Well, I witnessed your DJ'ing @ Abunai 2010, and for me, that was one of the better DJ-evenings I've had at any convention, to be honest. I loved that there were maids dancing in front of you. THAT was a really nice addition, if it was a part of your gig, of course? Hehe.

But yeah, considering that I am rather old school myself, unlike the majority of the crowd, I gotta say:
- A good DJ makes the crowd dancing by playing tunes with beats AND/OR tunes that gets the crowd party'ing, such as i.e playing "jump around" after a good beat-up tune is a nice win, especially in overfilled nightclubs.
- A good DJ is also a DJ that connects himself into both the music and the crowd, not just the music itself.
- Be observant. Watch what gets the crowd "turned on" and build upon that, which leads to my next point;
- Don't do the failure of playing several mixes of one popular tune. And IF you want to play a tune again, pick a tune that got the crowd in action in the first place, and play it when you feel it is properiate to play it.
- Considering this is DJ'ing at a japanese-related convention, you should definitely play tunes that are familiar and appealing to most of the crowd. Not only that, you have to play tunes that got the potential of attracting people to the dancefloor. However, you should consider to reach out to the "older" generation as well (tunes from 90's etc.)
- Playing tunes with a sense of rhythm, beats and nice dancing options is a nice way to go. In this case, not well-known and rather underground artists/bands is not the thing.

I might've forgotten some pointers, but I am sure you'll know the drill anyway.

Considering that this party is for 18+ (or?), I am sure that although many people are familiar with tunes from the west, they might not appriciate them too much during an "anime" convention.

But yes, genres that are suited for DJ-material during cons such as Abunai would be:
- House (funky, tribal, electro, tech, house etc)
- Club (mixes etc)
- Trance
- Disco
- Dance (eurodance, dance etc)
- Slight pop
- Slight R'n'B
- Slight rock
- Mixes (it can vary from a chiptune-mix to a pop-mix
)

I am fairly sure that PURE tunes from following genres will be less appetizing for the crowd:
- Heavy (metal, punk, rock etc)
- Country
- Vocal trance
- Techno
- Hardstyle
- Chillout
- Classic
...and other various and obvious genres..

And of course, your own set of styles & mixes are most welcome! But yeah, combining tunes with a nice build-up to a climax should absolutely get the crowd going, I am sure.

Also, if you're planning to include intro/ending tunes from various (anime) series in your set, you should definitely include both OLDER and NEWER intros/endings of the series in your set, otherwise you'll have many members of the crowd shrugging...

I am just trying to be neutral here and to see things from more angles and through more eyes than mine. So yeah, I am sure there will be some disagreements and stuff, but since you're looking for variation, I am fairly sure that you can do it good.

Are you planning to include western tunes in this or will it be strictly asian/japanese?

Anyways, I am greatly looking forward for this disco, especially since it was quite nice last time! Nice job there, dude.
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:58:58   #8
Racing Dutch
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shookiemonster View Post
I am fairly sure that PURE tunes from following genres will be less appetizing for the crowd:
- Hardstyle
Then you haven't seen last year what happened when both Deshima Sounds as well as P2A used Hardstyle.
(Crowd reacts to USAO mainly)
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:39:51   #9
Rasha
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Rasha

it depends on what you call a crowd. if you have 100 people there out of the 2100 in the building, then your doing it wrong.

hardstyle is nice as a night closer, but an entire evening of that will make people either not come or get bored really quick.
now I know there are some that want to hear that kind of music all day long, but to those i say, go to masters of hardcore or something.

next to that, you dont have to have everyone dancing 100% of the time, people need rest, a drink, or a piss for that matter. play some relaxing music inbetween to ease the mood etc

Rasha
is that a lagspike in your pants or are you happy to see me ?

Last edited by Rasha; April 11th, 2011 at 10:07:13.
Old April 11th, 2011, 19:14:13   #10
Shookiemonster

Send a message via MSN to Shookiemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Dutch View Post
Then you haven't seen last year what happened when both Deshima Sounds as well as P2A used Hardstyle.
(Crowd reacts to USAO mainly)
Should've just stated that I meant playing tunes from such genres ALL night long or in a longer timespan is NOT very crowd-friendly, but yes, I am aware of what you mention there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasha View Post
it depends on what you call a crowd. if you have 100 people there out of the 2100 in the building, then your doing it wrong.

hardstyle is nice as a night closer, but an entire evening of that will make people either not come or get bored really quick.
now I know there are some that want to hear that kind of music all day long, but to those i say, go to masters of hardcore or something.

next to that, you dont have to have everyone dancing 100% of the time, people need rest, a drink, or a piss for that matter. play some relaxing music inbetween to ease the mood etc
It's not like everyone likes to jump around, partying and dance either, so even if there are 100~200 on the floor jumping and having a nice time, it'd be wrong to say that the DJ's doing it wrong. But yes, attracting crowd with good tunes is a must.

Yup, exactly. Hardstyle is a nice night closer and in-between, but an entire evening of hardstyle will, as you say, make the crowd either bored or just not coming at all.

This is a generic disco. Not one particular genre-based disco, so yeah, the DJ should consider a lot of genres that's appealing to as many as possible. It's a good thing by the DJ to put up this thread.

Actually, there are some who likes to dance all the time, but yes, it doesn't hurt to have a nice and chillout tune being played every now and then, just to let the dance-energy & adrenaline sink in, not to mention to let the body and feet move to a slower tune. Doing so, will also make people able to have some sort of chit-chat while some will take a small break.