Abunai!  

Go Back   Abunai! > Archive > Archive 2011

Old May 16th, 2011, 21:16:21   #11
3da

Default Re: AMV Compo Rules + FAQ + Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saniiro-San View Post
I think you fear them way more then need be. I don't see collaborations as as much as a threat as you apparently do. if you take your time and effort you can come up with yet another great AMV just like last year! We've only seen one collaboration last year and that one didn't even make it to the final show.
I totally agree with you on this one Saniiro (like I said in the last topic, but I think you misread that one seeing your reaction). Collaboration doesn't necessarily mean it is better. Two great individual editors who collaborate can make one boring AMV. And if it is so difficult for people (not saying any names...), then why don't you collaborate....
Old May 16th, 2011, 21:52:38   #12
InfiniteDistance

I don't find it much of a problem, and no, collaborations don't necessarily mean better AMV's. I do however think they have the potential to be, because for some people, time constraint is the biggest factor.

I'm very competitive, and I like to think of these things as a matter of individual skill. That's just my take on it though, I'll kindly agree to disagree. Seeing as the rules are already set, it's not really something worth discussing in further depth.

I'm looking forward to all the creations (collabs or not ).
Old May 16th, 2011, 22:16:22   #13
3da

True, lets see if I can get some prizes this year, last year abunai 4th, on animecon 2nd in public and 4th in editors category... on tsuna 1st in originality and 3rd overall and on yay con 4th :S
Old May 16th, 2011, 22:32:25   #14
InfiniteDistance

I've never entered these before, although I have prior editing experience with a bunch of World of Warcraft and Counter-Strike movies. Now having rekindled my interest in anime, manga and so on, I figure I could try and whip up something decent.

As to further the discussion..what are some of the tools you guys use? Have any preference for codecs when it comes to editing? I do all my video editing in Sony Vegas and image editing in Photoshop.

For (re)encoding I use VirtualDub (with AviSynth) or SUPER (which in turn uses various other tools, I think it's just a frontend). For editing, I typically encode my rips with Lagarith, which seems to work great for editing (OM NOM NOM DISK SPACE). Rendering isn't much of an issue, since the formats are set, so that will probably be just h264 in an MP4.
Old May 16th, 2011, 23:21:21   #15
Saniiro-San
Otaku

we do prefer the finished product as MP4/h264 or AVI/XviD @ 720p, but any of the formats mentioned in the FAQ is accepted.

(@3da: no I read your post correctly ;-] my reaction was to the other remarks in the thread about the subject)

you have a whole year to work on your AMV... time constraints are those you let yourself have and not enforced by us a collab project has the same time constraints and the overhead of having to integrate all the work of the people in the group which should not be neglected.

I'm afraid we can end up in a big yes/no discussion so I'll just close the subject with the following: We of Abunai! do not feel collabs have an unfair advantage at this point in time. If at a later time we revisit this view and change it, rules can always be adjusted.

@InfiniteDistance great to see even more new faces in the AMV community.

I can't wait to see all the great stuff you guys come up with again this year!

(PS; due to the number of "trailer" video's we got last year I've updated the definition of an AMV in the FAQ)

Last edited by Saniiro-San; May 16th, 2011 at 23:30:44.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:22:35   #16
Charming Ice
Otaku

Quote:
HQ Render/Lossless/Mux/whatever Tutorial

1. Make a nice video.

2. Render your video to a lossless extension.

HuffYUV & Lagarith are lossless extensions, if you don't have any of these, see 3. If you have these extensions, see 4.

3. Download HuffYUV (recommended) or Lagarith

4. Open MeGUI.

If you don't have MeGUI, see 5. If you do, see 6.

5. Download MeGUI

6. Watch the MeGUI tutorial

7. Once you've followed the tutorial and are done, test your video!
This is the little tut I made last year, maybe it could help some newbies.

Last edited by Charming Ice; May 17th, 2011 at 08:27:53.
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:20:39   #17
InfiniteDistance

To nitpick.. it's not the extension that's lossless, but the encoding
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:29:30   #18
Charming Ice
Otaku

Like it says... it's last years sh*t... By the waiii, who the hell do you think I am?!
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:28:45   #19
3da

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDistance View Post
As to further the discussion..what are some of the tools you guys use? Have any preference for codecs when it comes to editing? I do all my video editing in Sony Vegas and image editing in Photoshop.

For (re)encoding I use VirtualDub (with AviSynth) or SUPER (which in turn uses various other tools, I think it's just a frontend). For editing, I typically encode my rips with Lagarith, which seems to work great for editing (OM NOM NOM DISK SPACE). Rendering isn't much of an issue, since the formats are set, so that will probably be just h264 in an MP4.
Editing: Premiere Pro CS5 and After effects CS5 and Virtualdub (really helps with the logo-away plugin). For reencoding SUPER or Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 6, and like you said both are fronted. Image editing... eehm Microsoft Paint :P (I don't do much image editing :P)
Old May 17th, 2011, 14:55:49   #20
Racing Dutch
Otaku

Editing:
Vegas Pro 8
(But now upgrading to After Effects CS5 after 2 1/2 years)

Re-encoding:
Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 6

Image editing (if needed):
Photoshop CS5