Go Back   Abunai! > Convention > Gophers [Public]

Closed Thread

Old August 12th, 2008, 14:20:13   #1
Jake R
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Jake R
Default Gophers FAQ

[UPDATED FOR 2009]
(But hardly anything changed for 2010 so most of this is still correct!)

INDEX:

- If, while registering, I apply as a gopher / steward, does this automatically mean I will be one at the convention? <- NEW(est)!
- Do you have to pay your ticket?
- What are the other perks?
- What is the minimum amount of hours I can choose to gopher for?
- How long are the shifts?
- What do you want us to do?
- You sound a bit bitter about gophers slacking off...
- I don't want to gopher, because I don't want to miss the ... event.
- You sound a bit bitter about those compo's too...
- This forum is English. Is the staff English?
- Where do I go for the most update information for gophers?
- I have a question not in this list! What do I do with it?

- If, while registering, I apply as a gopher / steward, does this automatically mean I will be one at the convention?

No, it does not. Due to the expected very high amount of gopher registrations, and a limit to the amount of gophers + stewards, we might have to reject a few registrations. Don't let this keep you from applying though: we will try to find the people best suited for the job. But don't think "I'll get my money back anyway" and then get angry at us if you aren't accepted as a gopher either: nobody ever said you'd be guaranteed the 'job' by simply registering.

- Do you have to pay your ticket?

Yes, but if you do your tasks as a gopher well (usually this means 'just show up on time and copy what the rest of the gophers does', not that hard really) you will get it refunded after the convention. This was changed from 'at the start of the convention' because a few gophers apparently need not having their money back yet as a reason to keep working.

New in 2010: some long-time, experienced, and very dedicated gophers have been given the option to not pay their ticket in advance because we trust them enough. I only make a note of this here because I was asked what this was about. I'd like to stress that this has nothing to do with 'friends with the staff', and was done 100% objectively. If you want to be one of these few gophers in the future, just keep volunteering and working hard!

- What are the other perks?

There is the gopherlounge, where you can hang out and rest up a bit on the location. Or talk with the other gophers and staff, and eat/drink something. Please don't go nuts though, the other gophers would like to get some too. In some instances, we can reserve some spots at events or let you in before the rest. Only fair, because you were pre-occupied with things we made you do, not by your own choice. Plus, you get to talk to me a lot, which is totally awesome.

Oh, and you get a shirt. Woo!

- What is the minimum amount of hours I can choose to gopher for?

12. This does not mean you will work for at least 12 hours, but at most 12 hours. You can choose more than this (not less). Or while walking around the convention and you don't have a shift, you can just help out 'extra'.

- How long are the shifts?

3 hours is most common. I try to break up every day in blocks of 3 hours (9-12, 12-15, 15-18, 18-21, 21-24) and sometimes I add half an hour or a whole hour if needed (because we don't close everything at or before 24, or open at exactly 9). I'll do my best to give these 'extended' shifts to people of which I know / presume they can handle it, usually the more experienced gophers.

Event shifts are different: most events don't last for 3 hours, and a lot of them are nothing but build-up / break-down. I will try to group events together, so the gophers who have these shifts build up and/or break down a few events in a row. This means there probably won't be an exact amount of time for these shifts, but I'll try to make them equivalent to the others.

- What do you want us to do?

To do your best. The shifts differ from standing behind the desk registering the visitors, taking and handing out coats and bags in the wardrobe, sit in the videorooms making sure the anime and shows keep running as they should, warning people when they are being annoying (yelling, making a mess), and several other tasks (event shifts in particular can be completely different depending on which event you're helping out at).

Not counting the shifts, I'd like you to help out whenever you're needed and free. If we need help (unexpected extra work/shift, a gopher fell ill and needs a replacement, etc.) and instead of helping you prefer sitting on a chair because you don't feel like helping (not counting being heavily tired... we don't want you to kill yourself), don't expect us to be happy to welcome you back next year. In fact, if you don't take your work seriously, you might no longer be a gopher before the end of the convention... but that'd be a rare case.

- You sound a bit bitter about gophers slacking off...

Correct. As do 80%+ of the gophers, because they had to do overtime. I'm here for the gophers, but not to clean up their mess. If you make mess, I'll clean you up instead. I'm pretty sure most of the gophers rather have that than allowing others to slack off so they have to work harder.

That said... I'll try to make sure there's no need to slack off due to lack of energy, with breaks in-between shifts unless you specifically ask for extra long / follow-up shifts, but I probably won't allow more than a certain amount without seeing you take a rest in-between.

- I don't want to gopher, because I don't want to miss the ... event.

That's not a question. The question would be; 'can I gopher if I don't want to miss ... ?', and the answer would be yes. However, please don't expect me to be able to fit you into the gopher schedule if you sign up as gopher and then insert a list of 5 events you don't want to miss. I'm doing all this by hand, I'm not running this through software or something. I don't know if you ever tried yourself (probably not), but it's not easy. Which means that I can only meet you half-way; I'll make sure you don't have shifts during events you don't want to miss, if you make sure the list isn't long or has events I can work around.

On a not unrelated note... if you don't ask me to let you be at the Cosplay and AMV Compo's, I'll try to do my utter best to give you the best shifts I can possibly give you, but there will indeed by a 90% chance you'll be working during at least one of those things.

- You sound a bit bitter about those compo's too...

Correct.

- This forum is English. Is the staff English?

The staff is currently all Dutch (... or can speak Dutch... I believe). This indeed means that if you prefer to do so, you can send e-mails and PM's in Dutch. I will reply in English or Dutch depending on what language I receive the message in. This does not mean you can just speak Dutch here as well, though. However, you might find some people who forget sometimes. (>_> <_<)

- Where do I go for the most update information for gophers?

Here. That is to say, the forum. In particular, the Gophers [Public] and [Private] (only visible for gophers) sections. Why?

- Because I'm the one in charge of the gophers,
- the only two options to share info with every gopher at the same time I know are mail and the forum,
- I love forums, and
- I hate spamming everyone's mailbox.

Plus, errors are more easily fixed and things more easily made up-to-date in a forum post than in mail that's already been sent. Frequently being active for Abunai! between 1:00 and 4:00 (it's 3:14 right now, if you are interested) means this is indeed a valid point for me.

- I have a question not in this list! What do I do with it?

Post in this topic.

There's other questions asked by many people but I can't think of them right now. If you can, post! =)

Last edited by Jake R; July 16th, 2010 at 17:25:33.
Old May 10th, 2009, 14:34:58   #2
Jake R
Otaku

Default Re: Gophers FAQ

I updated the FAQ: please note that, as mentioned in the topic about food, dinner is no longer 'on us' as opposed to last year because of the insane cost of feeding 100 gophers. Financial crisis and all that. =P So please, disregard any replies in this topic that say otherwise.

I also changed some phrases to better reflect the current situation(s). Not much has changed though.
Old May 11th, 2009, 21:48:30   #3
Akatsuki #1
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake R View Post
Plus, you get to talk to me a lot, which is totally awesome.
Alright that does it, i'm in!.. Anyways i'm still not sure if i can make it to this years Abunai, it's all depending on my financial status. And how much i spend om my holiday.
But still, ill try my best to come and help you guys out, since i had wonderfull weekends in the past years and i want to do something back..

Last edited by Akatsuki #1; May 11th, 2009 at 21:55:53.
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:09:20   #4
RoninTX
Otaku

I am still waiting for the signups being open.
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:32:16   #5
miraizou
Staff
A! Staff

coming asap
I will whip the person responsible some more >
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:37:15   #6
Saniiro-San
Otaku

/hides
Old July 19th, 2009, 23:24:16   #7
Jake R
Otaku

- If, while registering, I apply as a gopher / steward, does this automatically mean I will be one at the convention?

No, it does not. Due to the expected very high amount of gopher registrations, and a limit of only (around) 100 gophers + stewards, we will have to reject at least a few registrations. Don't let this keep you from applying though: we will try to find the people best suited for the job. But don't think "I'll get my money back anyway" and then get angry at us if you aren't accepted as a gopher either: nobody ever said you'd be guaranteed the 'job' by simply registering.
Old July 20th, 2009, 22:27:56   #8
Kagemaru
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Kagemaru

^ Question on that: Will you be notified if you're given or denied the function/position of a gopher?

(Doesn't really apply to me since I already applied long ago, but I just thought the question was a bit relevant)
Old July 20th, 2009, 23:52:17   #9
Jake R
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagemaru View Post
^ Question on that: Will you be notified if you're given or denied the function/position of a gopher?

(Doesn't really apply to me since I already applied long ago, but I just thought the question was a bit relevant)
Yes, you will be. No, I do not know when. I have yet to be given permission to mess around with the CMS and I'm staying far from it until given clearance, as to not be blamed for when things go wrong.

And applying long ago doesn't exactly make a sollicitation round 'not apply' to you. I'm pretty much forced to take a closer look even at those who did apply earlier, because I'll be lynched (and it'll be worse for the convention) if I just go with 'first come first serve'. I don't think you personally have that much to fear, though, looking at previous years.
Old July 20th, 2009, 23:59:28   #10
Kagemaru
Otaku

Send a message via MSN to Kagemaru

Oh, er, right, that's what I meant. Experiences from previous cons. Heh. Sorry. ^^;